Had cancer at age 19, I was a male model before that. What's my best option for getting rid of this belly?

Due to the mass amounts of steroids I was given (prednisone) to combat chemo, I went from 172lbs to 267lbs creating massive stretch marks and a huge belly.

Thank you for your question. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Steroid induced weight gain

Sorry to hear about your situation. I'd focus on a good diet and exercise program to get closer to your ideal weight then deal with the excess skin and stretch marks with likely a tummy tuck. See board certified plastic surgeons for more information. Best of luck

DrDerby

thank you for your question. Please attach a few photos to your question so that we can inform you better. Best of luck 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Tummytuck

so sorry about your bout with cancer. Difficult to answer without photo but weight loss probably first step. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Your best bet is to have an in-person consultation with a plastic surgeon. Surgery will not get you back to 172 lbs, you need to do that, but may help with loose skin. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Cancer, steroids, massive weight loss, what to do now?

Hi Eaddams

I am very sorry for your cancer, and I hope that you have beaten the disease.

I don't have enough info to give you any more than general suggestions of things to think about.

First, you need to be disease free, and all meds/medical/surgical etc history must be obtained, and then you need to have a physical exam performed.

The question is what next?

Assuming that you are disease free, and no longer on steroids, and you are healthy, you should consider multiple consults with the following:

Cancer doctor

Weight loss doctor (not just a pill pusher, but someone who will treat you, the "whole person")

Plastic surgeon who has an interest in, and a lot of experience with massive weight loss patients (my definition of massive weight loss, >/= 50 lbs).

Bariatric surgeon, who specializes in procedures to help with weight loss.

Dietician/nutrition specialist

Trainer

Perhaps others

Depending on your situation, you will need to have these specialties collaborate, for a long time.  You will need to be very committed to change, as this is a lifelong and very hard commitment.  You may need surgery after weight loss as well, and that may mean several trips to the operating room.

Support on the web may be found by looking up obesity and help dot com

All the best.

Sek

Options for getting rid of belly

Thank you for your question. I am sorry you have to go through tough time when you are young.  I recommend you to loose weight first and then see a PS for evaluation. You need to be close to your ideal weight . If you can not loose weight with diet and exercise, please talk to your primary care physician for options.

Brazilian lipoabdominoplasty

I am sorry to hear about your history of cancer. I would recommend losing some weight first, so that your BMI is at least 30 or below. As long as you are in the BMI range of 30 or below it is best to maintain that weight for at least 3-6 months before having your surgery performed. If your BMI is higher than 30 you put yourself at a higher health risk and if your weight fluctuates too much after your surgery it can affect your results. So I would wait until you reach a healthy weight that you are satisfied with then have cosmetic surgery performed. You will probably have some excess skin at this point so I would suggest considering a Brazilian lipoabdominoplasty which is the combination of a traditional tummy tuck and liposuction. It is important to remember to continue to live a healthy balanced lifestyle though diet and exercise even after surgery to maintain your results. 
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck - Weight Loss First

Thank you for your question and photos. I'm sorry to hear about your weight gain.  I believe it is best to be within 10 - 15 pounds of your ideal body weight prior to surgery for optimal results. This is achieved through a strict diet and exercise program. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in body contouring for an in-person examination. Ask to see a lot of before and after pictures of their work to understand what can be achieved. Hope this helps and good luck.

Post sterioid belly.

I am so sorry to hear what you went through, but I hope you are now fully cured. At 267lbs you will need weight loss before you consider elective cosmetic surgery. At the right weight it is likely that skin excision surgeries like tummy tuck will be of benefit. Given your medical history It would be best to approach any weight loss program with your medical team involved.