Would I best benefit from a "donut" breast lift or a "lollipop" breast lift? (Photo)

I am an 18 year old female. I visited a cosmetic surgeon in hopes of receiving fat grafting to transfer fat into my breasts for a more rounded, lifted look. However, the surgeon advised me that a lollipop breast lift would be the only way to get the look I desire. As an 18 year old, this is crushing to my esteem. I do not want a scar like that on my breasts, but I don't want droopy breasts, either. I am a 34 C cup. Please, I am looking for second opinions.

The Breast Lift Incision Decision

I happen to have blogged about a very similar topic a few months ago, you should check it out.
First, I disagree with one of the other surgeons who said you have a tuberous breast deformity - you don't.
Second, I agree with the other surgeon who said you are a poor candidate for the donut mastopexy.  That is a very "under powered" operation and I think it would lead to poor scaring that you would be very upset with.  A vertical breast lift or "Lollipop" incision is the only operation I would offer you in my office because it's going to get you what you want.  You can treat the scar later with silicone gel, lasers, etc. but there is no guarantee it will be acceptable to you as an 18 year old.
I'm sorry that I don't have a magic bullet for you, but I always offer patients a strong dose of reality.  There is no "gadget" or new fangled shortcut (aka revolutionary technique) that is going to help out.
Good Luck!

Donut Lift or Lollipop Lift?

A donut lift has limited application and does very little to actually "lift" your breast. It is easy to understand that at age 18 you would not want scars on your breast, but unfortunately there are no miracle lifts that magically lift your breasts without a significant scar. Your surgeon is correct in advising you that a lift is needed to achieve a better breast shape. You will need to either come to accept the scar associated with a lift, or accept your breasts as they are.

Benefiting from a Breast Lift

Thank you very much for your question and photograph. From your photo, it appears that you will need a breast lift to change the position of your nipple and achieve the lifted look that you are wanting. However, the breast lift will result in scarring, and if you do not want to have the scars, I recommend that you do not have the surgery. Once these scars are placed on your breasts, they cannot be removed. However, there is no other way to lift your breast and nipple position without doing a breast lift procedure.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Would I best benefit from a "donut" breast lift or a "lollipop" breast lift?

A donut mastopexy is not powerful enough and a lollipop will leave you with a very visible scar. Consider The Ultimate Breast Lift method where the scars are hidden around the areola and in the inframammary crease. Fat transfer to your breasts will not give you the lift you need. Fat transfers can only increase volume if the fat survives after transfer. Adding breast implants will only add more weight to your breasts and increase your chances of needing another lift in the near future. Please look at the video below to see what can current breast lifting techniques can accomplish.

Gary Horndeski M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Honestly, a lolly-pop lift will give you the best shape

A lolly-pop or vertical lift will certainly give you the best shape.  I know that scars are not ideal, but the scars on the front of the breasts are typically the ones that fade the best with time.

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift

From your photos it appears that you will need a lollipop lift at the very least, perhaps even a full anchor incision lift.

Vertical Mastopexy

Based on your photos I would recommend a verticle mastopexy to achieve optimal results. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options. 

Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well..
The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift.A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, your surgeon will determine on a personal consultation how your scar’s going to be and where depending on your breast tissue amount, I suggest you to check testers with your surgeon about sizes and type of implant, I recommend you to not lift, pull or push for at  least 30 days from surgery, Hugs!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

What kind of breast lift?

From your photographs, it seems quite clear that a donut mastopexy would not serve you well. It is a very weak procedure for obtaining dramatic, lasting results. You should see a board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Improvement in shape outweighs the scars

Thank you for your question and photographs. You have, what is called grade 3 ptosis. In cases like yours, a standard breast lift is generally indicated.  I don't believe that a donut or lollipop lift will do enough for you. In my opinion, the improvement in shape outweighs the scars. Be sure to see an experienced board certified plastic surgeon. 

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon