Is 8 weeks after smart lipo enough time to heal before having a revision? (photos)

My Dr. has agreed to do a revision on my smart lipo that I had done on July 26 on Sept. 20 b/c there are still areas that more fat should have been removed. (I previously posted a question related to my 1 wk results.) I know that final results take 3-6 month and up to a year from having the procedure done. I am not concerned about final results at this pt. since my Dr. and I both agree I am getting a revision. Is 8 wks long enough to heal to min. damage/scarring under the skin? I prefer asap

I think you should wait at least 5 months before doing a revision

it is impossible to know how much improvement you will continue to get, until you are at about

6 months. thus 5 months is the earliest i would do a revision - unless there was something very unusual.

david berman md

Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction Revision.

Typically after 8 weeks, the swelling has resolved enough to allow us to see where your results will be.  If extra fat is noted at this point, taking you back to remove more is fine.

Lawrence Broder, MD
Cedar Park Family Physician

SmartLipo results

Thanks for your question. Because SmarLipo can take up to 6 months, it’s best to wait it out. Your doctor agreeing to revise doesn’t necessarily indicate you’re ready for more treatment. Should the 6 months pass and you not have the results you had hoped for, you may want to consider a second opinion with a board-certified dermatologist to discuss what options you’re a candidate for. Hope this helps. Best, Dr. Katz

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Revision Lipo

Post SmartLipo you should wait at minimum 3-6 months before your second procedure. My suggestion is seeking a professional who is experienced in VASER Total Define Technique. This type of 4D liposculpture truly is the best body contouring procedure performed. Please consult with an experienced cosmetic surgeon who specializes in revision laser liposuction procedures. Best regards, Dr. Berger

Andre Berger, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting -- HI DEF REVISION

What is to say that if the first time didn't go as planned the second time will?  I suggest you see an expert.  If you are truly looking for contouring I find that ultrasound (VASER HI DEF) gives much better outcomes than laser.  Best, Dr. Emer.

I would recommend that you still wait 3 to 6 months before doing the repeat lipo. You still have swelling present and you will not get the best benefit from the revision otherwise.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

Eight weeks is too soon for a lipo revision

Healing isn't complete at 8 weeks. Much of what appears to be fat is simply postoperative swelling and healing changes. You'll get little benefit from a revision at this stage. Wait 6 months or more. Your impatience will get you in trouble.

Too soon to tell

At 8 wks, there is still a lot of scar tissue distorting your result. It would be hard to know whats what and give a predictable result. Wait at least 6-9 months before considering any revision procedure. Try and be patient with your recovery. Best wishes.
Dean Vistnes, MD
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#realself #drdeanvistnes #liposuction

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Is 8 weeks after smart lipo enough time to heal before having a revision?

Yes, 8 weeks is way to early to consider a revision.  I recommend you wait at least 6 months before considering a revision.  In the first few months, you will have swelling, hard areas and irregularities that will smooth out over time.  Be patient and wait.  

Smart lipo timing of revision

Thank you for your question. I do not recommend revision at this stage. We do not do any revisions before 6 months.  Your results and scar underneath will continue to improve during this period.