I need to find a tear trough injector that is skilled but afraid of bad side effects. What should I do? (photos)

I am 23 years old and this has been a problem with me for about 6 years. I've had them since I was a baby but I really want to get restylane injections bad. My only concern is not finding a good injector and side effects! How much does it cost? Do I need insurance? Will it look normal on me? I think about this everyday and it's driving me nuts

Restylane for tear trough correction and how to find a skilled injector?

Correction of tear trough area with fillers are the most challenging and rewarding work of art. 

There are various complications associated with tear trough injections and the most dangerous one would be blindness which is very rare but needs an immediate attention. The injector should know how to manage the complications and should not tell you to go the emergency room. You should not be getting any fillers from someone who is not experienced in advanced dermal fillers technique and if they do not have enough unexpired  hyalurodinase in their fridge in the same room during injection. I personally prefer blunt needle for tear trough correction.

Restylane for tear trough correction is not covered by insurance. The cost of the fillers may vary from physician to physician. Tear trough correction may need multimodal approach depending upon the underlying cause.

Look out for a board certified physician/surgeon who is highly skilled in injectables by reading physician testimonials and reviews.

Best of luck.

Dr. Shanthala

Boston Physician

Restylane treatment for tear troughs

Thank you for sharing your question. The lower eyelid (tear troughs) is a very delicate area that should be treated by a specialist. Numerous complications can occur, but when performed by an expert in this area, results are usually great. Make an appointment for consultation.  Good luck,

James R. Gordon, MD, FACS, FAAO
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Injector for tear troughs

I would recommend finding an experienced injector who uses cannulas under the eyes.  This makes treatment safer and greatly reduces the risk for bruising.  My patients typically have minimal or no bruising and smooth, natural results.  

Regards,

Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Dark Circles, Eyelid Wrinkles/Bags -- Restylane or Belotero, Laser C02/Erbium Resurfacing, Microneedling, Viva/Intensif, Fraxel

This is a very common treatment in my practice and for may cosmetic physicians.  Please find someone with expertise.  And start laser treatments.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Tear trough injections

In general, injected filler into the tear trough is a pretty straightforward procedure that can almost immediately improve the appearance of the eyes. The main complication could be bruising and swelling, both of which should go down in a couple of days. Vascular occlusion and other major complications can be solved by injecting hyruonidase. In general, a dermal filler, like Restylane, should last about a year. 

Sandy Sule, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tear trough injector, oculoplastic specialist

You are correct that experience and technique is important to get the best results, especially when it comes to your eyes. Traditionally, oculoplastic specialists are very comfortable and experienced with the eye area and hence can inject the filler close to the eye and deep in the eyelid to get the best results. See following link and video.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Under eye fillers

You do indeed need some fillers under the eyes, and I agree you have to find someone very specific about their technique, who also understands side effects.  I do these frequently, but I do have a slightly different take, or technique.  I tend to use a more permanent filler along the inferior orbital rim, careful to avoid the infraorbital nerve, and place this just above the periosteum.  This provides a lift of the tissue, allows it to blend in or transition beautifully onto the upper cheek, and prevents your lids from looking puffy or unnatural, as Restylane placed superficially, tends to do.  I use either Lyft or Voluma to do this usually, as it lasts much longer and is still mold-able right after injection to make it perfect.  Minimal pain and bruising, if any, and no down time.  You're young enough to where this would have a great result, but of course would need to be touched up every couple of years.  Of course, a more permanent option down the road would be fat grafting, but I'd wait until you are older to do that likely.

Cain R. Linville, MD

Tear trough injector

You look like a perfect candidate for Restylane. I would recommend seeing an oculoplastics specialist who does this on a regular basis.  The costs vary regionally so I would ask when making an appointment. It would look very natural and should last a long time.  Best of luck.

Katrinka L. Heher, MD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon