What are my options to repair a broken tooth?

The tooth was a cap that was put on 50 years ago, it brook off at the gum line. There is no pain, as far as I can tell the root is still solid.

Options to repair broken tooth #DrSoftTouch

If your tooth is broken off at the gumline and there is not enough remaining tooth structure for a new crown, you will need to have the tooth removed. Depending on gum health and location of the tooth, a dental implant or bridge would be recommended as a replacement. I would recommend scheduling an appointment with your dentist sooner rather than later. I hope this helps.  Follow me for more questions and answers.

It depends on how much tooth and root remain. If the tooth is broken to the gum line,it will probably need a root canal in order to cement a post that can be built up to place a crown on. If there is decay into the root, the tooth may need an extraction, bone grafting and an implant. After the implant heals a crown can be placed on it. Hope this helps. The sooner you get this treated the better.

Ana Brightleaf, DMD
Santa Monica Dentist