I've had a rectocele done. Will the Thermi Va compromise my previous surgery?

I agree with the responses below. If there was mesh used which is uncommon, than you would not be a good candidate for the ThermiVa. Otherwise, ThermiVa would not compromise your previous surgery. A discussion and an exam with your local provider would be your best bet. Best wishes.

ThermiVa After Rectocele Repair

To answer your question, ThermiVa may be performed after vaginal surgery as long as there has been adequate time for healing (minimum of six months).  But, as a cosmetic-plastic gynecologist and a ThermiVa provider, I have a few questions for you that I need answered in order for me to give you the proper recommendation.
They are as follows:
1) Why are you considering ThermiVa?
2) When was the rectocele repair performed and was a mesh used?
3) Were you happy with the results of the rectocele repair and were your problems corrected?  
The ThermiVa procedure is a great non-surgical option for many women and can be successful in treating a woman who is the right candidate.  However, I do not know if you are a good candidate for the ThermiVa procedure based on the information that has been provided.  Again, without an examination and your medical history, I cannot advise you further.  I would strongly recommend that you consult with a gynecologist who specializes in cosmetic-plastic gynecology for further evaluation.  

Best Regards,
Dr. John Serrao

ThermiVa after Rectocele Repair: Yes but see a specialist

Excellent question.  There is no reason to believe that you could not have ThermiVa performed as it should not compromise your previous surgery, and there are MANY reasons to have ThermiVa performed after a rectocele repair.  You would basically need to be completely healed from your surgery which depends on both time and, if mesh present, making sure the mesh isn’t exposed.  My advice is to be evaluated by a board certified gynecologist with experience in these kinds of surgeries who performs ThermiVa.  She/he would be able to give you an honest evaluation and help you make the right decision.

Previous Rectocele with ThermiVa

I agree that it cannot hurt your prior rectocele repair and actually could be of benefit to tighten these tissues even further if they are starting to become lax again.  Good Luck!

ThermiVa should not compromise retocele surgery

ThermiVa will have absolutely no impact on previous rectocele surgery as the anatomic locations are sufficiently different that there is no crossover. Additionally, ThermiVa is completely non-invasive and so you have nothing to worry about. Hope that help!

Douglas Wu, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Is ThermiVa Safe After Rectocele Repair?

ThermiVa may be performed after vaginal surgery as long as there has been adequate time for healing. Unless you have had mesh placed, there is no cause for concern. I eould recommend you speaking with the surgeon that perfomred the rectocele for approval as well as a consultation with the physician you have selected to do your ThermiVa treatments. 

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

ThermiVa & rectocele surgery

ThermiVa should be safe for you. We would first need to identify how long ago you had the procedure performed and if mesh was used. I would recommend you speaking with the surgeon that performed the rectocele for approval as well as a consultation with the physician you have selected to do your ThermiVa treatments.

Camille Cash, MD

ThermiVa post rectocele repair

Thank you for sharing.  There is no reason to think that the ThermiVa would complicate your prior surgery unless you had a mesh placed.   I would check with your surgeon to make sure you have the green light to move forward.
Good luck!!

ThermiVa will not disrupt previous surgery

ThermiVa will not disrupt a standard rectocele repair after it has healed. However, if mesh was used in your repair, you may need to visit your gynecologist to ensure that there are no mesh related problems prior to any vaginal procedure.

Will ThermiVa compromise vaginal surgery?

Dear Happyw,

ThermiVa is a radiofrequency treatment using heat that shrinks the tissues and stimulates collagen production.  It has not been shown to cause scar tissue or interfere with any type of previous vaginal surgery.

Did the rectocele address the problems you had before surgery and what are you seeking ThermiVa for?  Your answers can better direct the information I can give you.

ThermiVa will enhance the results you have adding to sensation, and addresses mild bladder symptoms and vaginal dryness as well in those circumstances.

I hope this adequately answers your question.

Sincerely,

Dr. Troy Hailparn

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN