Implants. Is it true you have to MRI all the time for watch them?

My doctor seemed to favor silicon (gummies) over saline. I thought saline would be a better fit for me because I like a little bit of the firmer feel and look of them and if they ruptured I could tell right away as oppose to all the things you have to do for silicon. However I'm currently liking silicon as well now. Is it true you have to MRI all the time for watch them? I have friends who have silicon and they don't do anything and are just fine.

MRI for implants

To properly detect ruptures in silicone implants, an MRI is recommended. However, that doesn’t mean you need to get an MRI all the time. It’s recommended that you get them every couple of years, and sooner if you suspect there’s a problem. Although silicone tends to be more popular these days, you can still get saline if you wish. Just make your wish known to your surgeon.

Silicone breast implants and MRIs

The only way you can tell if a silicone gel implant is ruptured is by a MRI x-ray, and health insurance may or may not cover the cost.  Currently, the FDA and the implant manufacturers recommend that you check for rupture 3 years after your breast implant surgery and then every two years after that. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths." 

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon