I weight 189 and want to go from J Cup to a D or DD. When I have the surgery will it make a big difference in my weight?

When I have the surgery will it make a big difference in my weight?

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.No, I would not expect a significant change in your overall weight before/after the procedure. Best wishes.

Change in weight

You may have a slight change in weight, but I think you will see a bigger drop in weight after surgery during your post-operative recover.  I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Best wishes! Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Difference in Weight after Breast Reduction

Dear shygirl161, You may see a difference on the scale reading depending on how many grams are removed during surgery. The tissue removed from breast reduction is typically sent to pathology where it is weighed, but your scale may not reflect that exact amount. I wouldn't weigh yourself for some time after surgery, you receive IV fluid during the procedure and sometimes that can stay in your body for a few days, making it seem like you have gained weight. Hope this helps!

Weight loss with breast reduction

Thank you for your question.Typically significant weight loss is not seen by excision of the breast tissue itself but by being more comfortable to be more active with smaller breasts.  For an average breast reduction of 700-800 grams per side this equates to about 3.5 lbs of weight loss from the excision of breast tissue.  There are of course exceptions where 10+ lbs of breast tissue is removed but this is not typical.One must be careful not to lose too much weight after breast reduction as the breasts can decrease in size unpredictably and lead to dissatisfaction.  Thus it is best to achieve your desired weight if possible prior to having surgery.Best Dr. L

Andre Levesque, MD

Breast reduction

Depending upon how large and heavy your breasts are and what you want to go down to will determine how much weight you might lose. I have removed for a standard breast reduction as little as 1/2 lb per breast all the way up to about 7lbs per breast!

Weight loss from breast reduction

You may see a 5 pound difference on the scale. However, after reduction, you will be able to exercise without back pain, an excellent motivator to be more active and lose weight.