I'm 19, 5'4, weight 189 pounds. I'm a 36J, and want to drop to D and have major back pain. Would I be a good candidate?

Would I be a good candidate for breast reduction?

Thank you for the question. Based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. This operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.  

“Typical” patients who present for breast reduction surgery are women who have disproportionately large breasts, causing problems such as neck/back/shoulder discomfort, postural changes, bra strap grooving, skin irritation/rashes under the breasts, and/or difficulty with activities of daily living and/or exercise etc. There may be both physical as well as psychosocial “stress” caused by the disproportionately large breasts. Reducing breast tissue mass and elevating the breasts on the chest wall tend to improve or alleviate many of the symptoms associated with the disproportionately large breasts.

Patients considering breast reduction surgery should also consider the potential downsides (risks/complications) associated with the procedure as well. Poor scarring, for example may be associated with the procedure. Additional surgery may be necessary in the short or longer term for a multitude of reasons.

When the time is right, I suggest that you seek consultation with well experienced plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. Ultimately, careful selection of your plastic surgeon will be the most important decision you make. To this end, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.   I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Breast Reduction

Yes, you are a great candidate for a breast reduction.  If you have insurance, this procedure may be covered.  I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Best wishes! Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

It sounds like you could be a good candidate for a breast reduction.  Best to be seen in person to determine what technique would be right for you.  Good luck.

Breast reduction

You are an excellent candidate for breast reduction, which is a transformative procedure. In terms of insurance coverage, you are required to submit documentation of conservative medical management, meaning at least three months of physical therapy or chiropractic, a recent sonogram, etc. The approval process takes approximately 45 days. Many insurers require that patients be over 19 with a few setting a higher age minimum.Best wishes,Dr Kraft