Questions on back to work

Just trying to plan things out for time off work. I'm hoping to book off 10-14 days. I do homecare for seniors. Most days include catheter changes, pills, compression stockings, few showers here and there, and tons of walking. My concern is putting on stockings and they are tight and sometimes difficult to put on but 10-14 days should be enough hey?

Breast Augmentation

Generally I recommend casual walking after 1 week, walking for exercise at about 2 weeks[treadmill ok, elliptical not ok], and more strenuous work after 4-6 weeks.
Every patient and every surgery is different, so your recovery may affect this timeline; and will be closely monitored by me for the first 6 weeks.

Oahu Island Plastic Surgeon

Recovery and time off work

The need for time off work during recovery is dependent on a number of factors:

-Patient occupation

-Patient pain tolerance

-Procedure performed

-Surgeon preference

You failed to mention what procedure you were having done. The majority of recovery milestones will be reached within the first week to 10 days. Depending upon the procedure performed, I typically discourage heavy lifting or strenuous exercise for a period of 4-6 weeks.

As always, discuss your concerns with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Donovan Rosas, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Returning to work

Thank you for your question. Though you did not specify what procedure you were having performed, most of my patients return to work 5-7 days after the surgery, and resume most activities after 5-7 weeks. There are specific limitations and guidelines patients should follow with each procedure so I would discuss with your PS about what his post operative protocol is for your specific procedure.

Kamran Azad, MD
Pasadena Physician

Back to work

I find that most of my patients are able to go back to work in about 1 week. I tell my patients that once they are off the narcotic pain medication they may go back to work. I also recommend my patients not to do any heavy lifting or strenuous activity for at least 4 and sometimes 6 weeks. It sounds like your job may necessitate some heavy lifting. If you help with showering and someone is about to fall or something you may have to help them suddenly and this may cause problems so soon post op. When my patients have a job like this I tell them they can go back to work after about a week but I give them a note saying they are not allowed to do any heavy lifting or strenuous activity. The best advice I can give is to speak to your plastic surgeon and follow his recs. If they have been doing this for a long time they will feel comfortable giving you a realistic timeline of things you can and cannot do postoperatively. I hope you have chosen a board certified plastic surgeon! I hope this helps!

Ankur Mehta MD

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Time off work

Each surgeon will have his or her own recommendations for recovery so be sure to follow your chosen surgeon's guidelines.  Also you did not mention what procedure you are having done.  If it's only a breast augmentation (no lift or other accompanying procedures) most patients are back at work by one week.  Generally speaking you want to avoid heavy lifting or overly strenuous activity for at least 4 weeks following your procedure.