How far above my belly button would be removed with a full tummy tuck? (Photo)

I have really horrible stretch marks that extend above my naval, I also have a old scar from having a piercing. I know that I will be left with stretch marks after surgery, I was just wondering how many I can expect to be left with. Also will the scar from the piercing be able to be completely removed. I also had a c-section with my last pregnancy, the picture shows the scar from same.

With that much loose skin

I would suggest you have an anchor abdominoplasty to allow removal of your  stretch marks... the downside is you have a scar from your ribs down to your mons BUT you have the best waistline a tummy tuck can achieve and no skin redundancies that come with traditional tummy tucks.  If you can live with the vertical scar, it would serve you better.

Tummy Tuck Details- Stretch Marks

Thank you for your question and photo. It is likely that piercing scars close to the umbilicus can be removed with a full Abdominoplasty. The exact plan according to your tissue, your physical exam and goals should be discussed with your Plastic Surgeon in detail so that you know exactly what to expect from this procedure. It is typically not possible to remove all stretch marks but the majority of them probably can be.

All the best

Stretch Marks

Regardless of how much of the stretchmarks are removed from below, keep in mind that the remaining stretchmarks will be elongated to fill the gap where skin was removed.  So the real question is, how far down will the tops of your stretchmarks travel after a tummy tuck? In your case, because you don't have much extra skin in the upper abdominal area, the tops of your stretchmarks will not move very much. Only a examination can allow the surgeon to give you an accurate estimate, however based on your photo I think it will be very disappointing. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Stretch mark removal

Unfortunately you will probably not get rid of as many stretch marks as you would like but your abdomen can be tightened.  There are a couple of options available for you.  You have a high belly button and only a little bit of wrinkling above it.  The piercing scar can be removed but it would leave another scar.  You could have a modified tummy tuck where the belly button is either left as is or lowered slightly and any extra lower abdominal skin can be tightened. This would entail a scar to replace your C-section scar but longer. Some liposuction can be used for shaping of the hip roll areas (but you are obviously at a good body weight) and your muscles can be tightened (fascial plication) if needed.  A full tummy tuck will not be able to remove all the skin below your belly button down to and including your C-section scar - you just do not have enough skin above your belly button to pull down - this then means that you would need a vertical scar as well (the hole in the skin - from where the belly button was originally - needs to be closed).  You have good plastic surgeons in your area - they can give you better advice by seeing you in person. 

Not much will come out above your belly button

To keep the scar low, I would expect to remove all of the skin from about an inch in to your pubic hair up to right above your belly button.  It all depends on how stretchy your skin is above your belly button.  Yes, you will still have stretch marks, but they will now be on the low part of your abdomen.  This lets you show off your mid-riff without showing the stretch marks.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

I think you would have an excellent result with a full abdominoplasty, rough estimate is that about 2/3 of the stretch marks would be excised.  It is unlikely that the stretch marks above the belly button could be excised. The piercing scar and C section scar should be removed.  Good luck, jane

Tummy Tuck - Stretch Marks?

Thank you for your question and photo. You appear to be an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck. The skin excision and muscle tightening would give you an excellent contour as well as improve the tone of the anterior abdominal wall. Liposuction could be used to better define your flanks and hips at the time of tummy tuck surgery. The stretch marks located below your belly button will be removed with the skin excision. The stretch marks above your belly button will be pulled down to a lower, less prominent location. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person examination to discuss the specific details of the procedures. Ask to see before and after photos to get an idea of what can be achieved. Hope this helps!

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction.  This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  The scar above your belly button can be removed.  Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD