What should I be prepared to pay for, when having rhinoplasty, if I don't use insurance?

I have applied for many insurances but I am not approved due to none being extended to my area and low income. However, I believe I have a deviated septum and I would also like for my nose to look a little better. What all should I be prepared to pay for? I know in my area the average cost is about $5500 (Knoxville TN). I don't know how to go about having everything that needs to be done, done.

Rhinoplasty cost

The rhinoplasty surgery fee often governed by the surgeon's years in practice and could range from $5,000 to $20,000. You may want to choose someone who is experienced, has a fair fee an has passion for rhinoplasty. Undergoing surgery by someone who charges less but may not have the experience could end up being more than double the cost of surgery by someone who is an expert since you may have to have a second surgery and a second recovery to attain the result that may please you.

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Cost

GreetingsThank you for your question, the price for rhinoplasty may differ depending on the surgeon and type of Rhinoplasty. My prices are ranging from 3000euro to 5000euros.There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.In the operation that needs the bone and cartilage tissues to be involved; open approach is used. In the procedures with open approach, the size, shape and functionality of the nose can be improved. The big nasal bumps can be removed and septal deviations can be corrected providing a better nasal airway. 

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Fees

You will need pre -authorization from the insurance carrier for that portion that will be covered by them. Usually this involves anything that is functional (breathing issues). Sometimes they may cover external work if there is a deviation of your nose on the outside. This would be a rhinoseptoplasty. If it is only to improve the appearance ( not related to trauma, congenital issues) then that would be cosmetic. I would see a board certified surgeon who does many noses and has a lot of experience.  They can evaluate you as well as look into insurance coverage for you.

Scott R. Brundage, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

I would suggest that you visit some board certified plastic surgeons in your area until you find someone that you are comfortable with. At the consultations, the surgeons office should be able to provide you with an exact quote of what the surgery would cost. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Average cost of a rhinoplasty and septoplasty procedure

The cost of any elective cosmetic surgery including a rhinoplasty is directly determined by the amount of time it takes to perform the procedure under anesthesia and monitored by a physician anesthesiologist. In addition, the amount of time it takes to perform the procedure in an operating room, and the surgeon's professional fees for performing surgery in addition to all of the post operative follow-up appointments also dictate the cost. A rhinoplasty is considered cosmetic and must be paid for by the patient. A septoplasty is considered functional surgery to improve airflow dynamics through the nose and is usually billed to the patient's medical insurance, once medical necessity has been documented at time of the examination. Even with medical insurance, there are co-pays and deductibles that will still apply that patients must pay. Both a septoplasty and a rhinoplasty can be performed at the same time which will allow one anesthesia and one recovery period. For more information about the differences between the two procedures, and our current price list for rhinoplasty, please see the video and the link below

Rhinoplasty

The fee for rhinoplasty will vary from surgeon to surgeon and the complexity of the procedure.  Best to be seen in person.

Rhinoplasty Fee

Since this is a common question, we have posted our fees on our website.  However, the most important pearl you should take away from this question is that one Surgeon's Rhinoplasty results are not transferable to another Surgeon.  Regardless of price, see a Surgeon who makes Rhinoplasty a focus of his/her practice.  $5500 for a septorhinoplasty seems a little low, but that may be the norm in your area.  Good luck. 

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Cost

Thanks for your question. The cost of a rhinoplasty varies from one geographical location to the next. I suggest you schedule consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area. Following your exam, you should be given an itemized breakdown of the cost. Many plastic surgeons offer complimentary cosmetic consultations.Good luck!

Brian Widenhouse, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Cost of rhinoplasty varies based on geographic region and surgeon expertise.  Many surgeon offices offer payment plans such as CareCredit which is an interest free loan for up to one year for qualified patients.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Rhinoplasty/Septoplasty cost

Thank you for your question. First of all, when looking for a plastic surgeon for a Rhinoplasty/septoplasty it is preferable that they are a member of The Rhinoplasty Society and are board certified in both Otolaryngology and in Plastic Surgery to obtain the best results possible.  A rhinoplasty and septoplasty are two separate procedures which therefore will have to separate costs. When you go through insurance, if they deem it is medically necessary then it usually covers the cost of a septoplasty but insurance will not cover a rhinoplasty as it is on the outside and its considered cosmetic. The Realself national average for a rhinoplasty is between $7,000-$8,000 and for a septoplasty is between $6,000 and $7,000.When doing multiple surgeries at once, i will generally discount the overall price so it wouldn't be as high as that if you chose to do both of the surgeries together.

Best wishes in your endeavors! 

Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon