I have muscle spasms quite often. Is this normal and how long will this last?

My breast augmentation was done 9 days ago. I went from a small b cup to a full c. I have muscle spasms quite often and when I wake in the morning they are very tight and hard.

Muscle Spasms

This is normal and will take several weeks to go away but it will get better every day. The muscle is adjusting to being stretched over the implant.

Muscle Spasms After Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question. It's common for patients to experience this, especially if the implants are placed under the muscle. I'd recommend speaking with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for their recommendations. 

All the best. 

Muscle Spasms

Thank you very much for your question.

What you are experiencing is pretty common.  For that reason, we routinely give our patients muscle relaxers, and teach them gentle stretching exercises to reduce the spasms.

I recommend contacting your surgeon's office and asking about these possibilities.  Best of luck!

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Muscle spasms

In my experience, the sensations that you are experiencing are quite normal with an implant placed under the muscle. We give our patients a muscle relaxer that may help with these symptoms although not totally alleviate them. As the muscle stretches and relaxes the implant will feel more soft and will migrate down to the bottom of the space created for it. Follow up with your chosen plastic surgeon is recommended.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question.  After placement of implants, the overall appearance of the breasts will change dramatically over the next several months, as the implants drop, and the overlying tissue stretches to accommodate the extra volume. At nine days your implants are still likely sitting high on your chest with your breast skin and underlying muscle swollen from surgery.  This swelling and the stretching caused by the implant can result in muscle spasms.  The spasms should resolve as your breasts heal and swelling resolves. Hang in there!

It is very normal to have muscle spasms at this point assuming that your implants were placed under the muscle. Many patients will get relief with some simple stretching exercises that help stretch out the tight chest muscles.  I would discuss this with your surgeon as this may provide you with significant relief quite quickly.  Hope things improve quickly.

Thank you for your question. You are very early in your recovery. It can be normal for your breasts to sit oddly and feel firm. I would recommend seeing your plastic surgeon for an in-person assessment. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD