What do you recommend for hardened breast implant in 90-year-old?

Implants were done in 1984 after mastectomy. She also has dementia, and is on 6 liters of oxygen because of pulmonary fibrosis.

Implants On A 90 Year Old Woman?

Thank you for your question! If they are not giving her any problems or pain I would leave them in!  Best of luck!

Dr Dhaval Patel
Double Board Certified
Plastic Surgeon
Chicago
Hoffman Estates
Oak Brook

Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for breast surgery?

Hi,

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

Having said that, she is not a surgical candiate.

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon

Harden implant on a 90 year old

Thank you for your recent question! At this point I would not recommend any surgery for her due to the history you provided. Due to her age and history of pulmonary fibrosis and needing oxygen she would be at risk for complications. Best of Luck!

Hardened breast implant in 90-year old.

Hi, jb53.  From your description, I would not recommend surgical intervention.  For most patients with capsular contracture, I would recommend capsulectomy with implant exchange.  However, given her age and oxygen dependency, I would worry about her being extubated from anesthesia and safety during and after the surgery.

Capsular contracture following breast reconstruction in an elderly female

In this particular situation I would not recommend any surgical treatment.  If pain is an issue the implant may be able to be removed under local anesthesia.

Hard Implants in a 90 year old

There is no medical indication to remove implants due to capsular contracture ( hardening) unless they are causing pain or interfering with daily activities for someone of advanced age and in poor health. Most likely these will remain unchanged and not cause any health risk to the patient. 

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  Based on the patient's current pulmonary and neurological status, unless the implants are in some way causing discomfort to the patient, best to leave them in place, in my opinion. 

90 years old

considering the patients health status, i would not do surgery. the hardness is not dangerous. surgical intervention could cause other more significant problems.

Nothing

Unless these implants are causing pain I would do nothing.  All you can do is run into major medical problems.

Capsular contracture in the 90 year old patient

Given the dementia, while the implant may be hard, I would leave it alone and not subject a patient in this condition to anesthesia, which could cause a further deterioration in mental status. Her pulmonary fibrosis would militate against any such procedure. Best wishes.