Breast enlargement 3 weeks ago. (photos)

Hi I had my breast enlargement 3 weeks ago. My incisions are a red and sometimes a bit itchy. Is this normal colour for the scar. Many thanks

After BA

This looks fine. The wounds are always red, itch and a bit lumpy after surgery, for weeks or months. All the best, Dr Steve Merten, Sydney Australia

Breast Scarring

Thank you for your question. It is normal to have redness and some itching during the scar healing process. We recommend our patients use a scar cream, such as Bio-Corneum, and massage the scar daily. It is also important not to expose the area to sunlight as hyper-pigmentation can occur.  In time (a scar takes several months to mature), the redness and itching will subside and your scar will soften. 

John S. Lee, MD

It can be very normal for a scar to be red, itchy, and raised at 3 weeks post-op following any surgical incision

Inflammatory changes like irritation, itching, swelling or thickening of the skin, and redness can be normal findings during the early phases of wound healing.  The tissues undergo processes during healing which can cause these symptoms.  As long as there is no drainage, spreading of redness to surrounding areas, or swelling of the entire area it is very likely that there is no infection.  This appears to be the case with your scars from their appearance in the pictures.  One thing that is also worth mentioning for completeness' sake is that people sometimes put products on their scars like antibiotic ointments, scar gels with botanical substances, vitamin oils, essential oils or plant oils, and the like, and  sometimes these things can cause a topical dermatitis, or basically an allergic reaction which can amplify or exacerbate the normal inflammatory changes in the scar.  Neomycin, which is one of the active ingredients in Neosporin, a very commonly used agent which is heavily promoted to be placed on any healing wound (at least here in the States), is one of the most common offenders, as allergy to neomycin is quite common.  If you are using anything like this on your scar, I might advise you to stop briefly and see if the symptoms improve.  Of course, if you are using anything like that under the direction of your surgeon, check with him or her first, but a trial of discontinuance of any potentially offending substances is very easy to do and low risk with potentially high reward.  Otherwise, I would simply advise that the scar maturation appears to be "par for the course" at this stage, and you should continue to follow your surgeon's directions closely.  Best of luck.

Breast enlargement 3 weeks ago

Thank you for your questions and photographs.  Incisions often are raised and red following breast augmentation.  The incision site and contour look appropriate for 3 weeks post procedure.  I wish you good luck.

Breast augmentation scars at 3 weeks

Thank you for your question and photo's.  Yes, they look like new scars which are hyperpigmented .  Scars can take up to a year to completely heal.  Avoid sun and tanning beds, and use silicone strips or gel to help heal them faster.  I encourage my patients to use bio-corneum which has silicone and sunscreen combined, or silicone gel strips.  

Chad Robbins, MD

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and the photos.Your scars look fine for this stage of your recovery, some peoples' scars have more prolonged redness than others so it can vary. it is also normal for scars to feel itchy whilst they are healing, but if at any time you are concerned do contact your plastic surgeons office for advice.

Chien C. Kat, FRCS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Red Itchy Scar

Hi,A little redness and itch is normal in wound healing. Some people do develop skin irritation to skin tapes commonly used as dressings that can make this look and feel worse for longer. It would be worth discussing stopping using any skin tape dressings and using a topical moisturising cream treatment with your treating doctor, and avoid wearing any bra with and underwire.  Your photos and your described  symptoms do not strongly suggest infection to me. All the Best.