Can I have a breast augmentation or will I need a uplift too? (Photos)

Thank you for your question and photos. The route you take could depend on the expectations you have for your results. If you want the nipples to be lifted and the breasts quite perky, you could consider a lift. If you want your breast to be larger and don't mind a bit of natural weight/droop to them, this could be an acceptable improvement as well. The best option for you will be to visit a board certified Plastic Surgeon in person. They will measure you, discuss your goals and provide options.
All the best

Breast Augmentation - Am I A Candidate? Need A Lift?

Thank you for your question. It appears you are an excellent candidate for breast augmentation surgery. The proper implant must be selected to fill your skin envelope. Please have an in-person examination with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in cosmetic breast procedures. Ask to see a lot of before and after photos of what can be achieved with implants. Hope this helps and good luck.

It all depends on the position of the nipple on the breast. The further down the nipple is in relation to the fold the more the chances are the patient needs a lift. High profile are taller and narrower implants when compared to moderate profile implants of the same volume.The decision is usually based on the patient breast dimensions, amount of breast that the patient can contribute to the projection and I also factor the patients desires. I try my best to also respect the skin quality and elasticity in order to prevent future drooping due to unnecessarily heavy implants.  Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of breast augmentation  and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely.  Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote.

Breast augmentation

Depending on the size of implant you are considering, you most likely can have augmentation without the lift.  If you are considering conservative sized implants, you may need to have a lift as well.  Speak with your surgeon about your goals and the look you are hoping to achieve from surgery.  She/He will help advise you on which procedures would be best for you.

Camille Cash, MD

Depends on the result that you are looking for

Thank you for the question and photos.  This is a decision that many women face and one that sometimes is difficult to answer without the patients preference stated.  While some women clearly fall into either the "don't need a lift" or "do need a lift"  category others straddle the fence.  For these women such as yourself, the size and type of implants, position of the implant, and desired final result will ultimately help you decide whether you should get a lift.  As you will see, you will get recommendation for lift and no lift from various plastic surgeons because each is likely imagining different circumstances.All the best,Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Breast augmentation- is a lift needed as well?

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentatino.
  • Your photos suggest that your breasts are quite deflated - they have lost volume.
  • But the nipples may be a little low, making your situation what we call 'borderline.'
  • In a situation like this, generally a breast implant is done - and usually the result is fine.
  • If not, a lift can always be done later if needed.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FAC

Without examining you I cant be entirely sure but based on the photos it looks like you could have a very nice result with implants alone as long as you wanted to go large enough to fill the 'skin envelope'. The only way to know for sure is to book a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon near you. Best of luck! 

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

Do I need a breast lift?

Hello Ethan, this is a very common question.  Some patients absolutely need an uplift and this can be combined with implants if required.  You are not in this group and you could get a nice result with implants alone, you do not absolutely need a breast lift.  A lift does improve the shape of the breast and brings the nipples up, but it does come with scarring and more potential for complications, so these risks need to be balanced against the benefits.There is no substitute for an in-person consultation with a plastic surgeon and the BAAPS and BAPRAS websites have a list of specialists for you to search.  I have done a webinar which covers this topic and you would be welcome to sign up for it with the link below.  Thank you for your question and good luck.

Lift or no lift

One of the more common scenarios that we as aesthetic plastic surgeons deal with in cosmetic breast surgery is the patient from either weight loss, or post pregnancy has a little bit of drop of the breast off of the chest wall that we call ptosis. The question then becomes in the patient's mind, can we just fill the space with an implant and create a youthful looking breast. It all depends on what the patient's perception of youthful is. My patients, more than likely, would like to have upper pole fullness of the breast without the necessity for wearing a push-up bra. In these situations, a breast lift plus an implant both centers the nipple and areola complex on the breast while replacing the lost volume with an implant. Most patients’ hesitation in doing the breast lift as well as implants, are the potential for bad scars. In my experience, we talk a lot about the scars of a breast lift preoperatively, but hardly ever in the postoperative phase. It seems to me, that when the breast is up high on the chest wall, youthful and perky, that one does not even see the scars. Most of the time, these incision lines heal uneventfully anyway. In the small chance that the scars are more red or thicker than one would like, we have many options in lasers, light sources, and laser assisted drug delivery techniques to mitigate against unsightly scars. Sometimes, patients who I've seen have seen other physicians who have recommended simply placing a large implant to "fill the space". This seems to be a very temporary fix for the situation in that the stretched out soft tissue that the implant is placed into, usually will allow very rapid descent of the breast, such that in just a few months, it looks like a bigger version of the breast that they first started with. They will then sometimes have a secondary mastopexy, and at that time, I would often recommend that they replace the very large implant with a smaller one. In my opinion, a large lift, meaning taking out as much of the stretched out skin as possible, and placing a more modest size implant will make a breast that will remain perky and up on the chest wall for a long period of time. In my opinion, perky breasts, not necessarily large breasts, look youthful. Patients will then ask, "why then does Dr. so-and-so tell me that I can just have implants?" My answer to this is very simple. It is far easier in most plastic surgeons’ skill sets to place a large implant then do a breast lift with an implant. The simultaneous lift and implant procedure is a little more challenging in that you're trying to do opposite things at the same time. One, you're trying to make the skin envelopes smaller and at the same time make the breast larger. One easy way to decide whether a lift is good for you, is to see your image in 3-D on a Vectra camera system. In our office, we can then compare two images: one with mastopexy with implants and the other with implants alone. In that way, both the patient and plastic surgeon can see what the difference in the look of both procedures are. Usually when implant is placed only, and a breast lift was really needed, what the patient will see is a breast that is falling off of a properly placed mound that's higher in the chest wall than the breast is. The breast seems to be falling off the implant. They will commonly squeeze the end part of their breast and ask,  “why hasn't the implant filled this space out?” For me, the in between operation is to use a tall shaped implant. These anatomically shaped implants can create the illusion, that although the nipple has not really been raised, that the nipple is now more centered on the breast. While these implants do cost more than round implants, it still less expensive than adding a breast lift. All things considered, it's best to consult with a few talented and busy cosmetic breast surgeons to get different opinions. Good luck with your decision.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Can I have a breast augmentation or will I need a uplift too?

Thank you for your question and Photo. Depends on the size of implants and the nipple position if you want the nipple to be lifted then you will need little breast lift. You are a good candidate for Breast Augmentation.