Popped stitch? I'm 3 weeks post-op from a breast lift.

No issues until tonight, where it appears I popped a stitch. What do I do?

Post op recovery

I appreciate your question.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Popped Stitch at 3 Weeks Post-Op

The patient will go home in a bra or with only light dressings over the incision lines. Sutures are dissolvable but an ending knot, if present is removed within 1-2 weeks. Initial discomfort is easily controlled with oral medication. Light activities may be started in 7-10 days. If your stitch still appears and has popped this question should be taken directly to your own surgeon for examination.

Over time, gravity will continue to have an effect and the breast skin will tend to stretch. The degree of #stretching and #sagging varies between women: generally, women with smaller breasts experience less recurring sagging. If sagging does occur, further excision of the skin on an outpatient basis can be used to correct the problem. Heavy and large breasts may lead to recurrent sagging and may require the removal of a small amount of breast tissue to achieve an optimal shape and size. One key to a satisfying result is realistic expectations.

All surgical procedures carry some degree of risk Any breast operation can result in changes in sensation. This happens less with lifts than reductions but is still possible Occasionally, minor complications occur and do not affect the surgical outcome. Major complications associated with this procedure are rare. The suitability of the breast lift procedure and specific risks may be determined during your consultation.

#Hypertrophic or #keloid scars can be a problem. The worst are usually under the breast with an #AnchorLift or inverted “T”. These can be treated like all thickened scars with re-excision, laser, kenalog/5-FU injections, creams, silicone strips and other methods to reduce and improve healing.

Mastopexy

You are best to post a photo to be able to get an informed opinion. I would always advise seeing your PS for advise.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

3 weeks post op from breast lift

I am sorry you are having a problem, but the appropriate course of action is to make an appointment with your plastic surgeon and ask him or her to take a look at it.  Best of luck.

If you feel you have popped a stitch, please call your plastic surgeon and follow his or her instructions.  Best of luck.

I am sorry to hear about the problem you are experiencing but online consultants are not your appropriate resource; you will need to let your plastic surgeon know of your concerns for appropriate guidance. Best wishes.

Wound opening after breast lift

Hello good day,

It's hard to advise without a picture. If it's just one stitch, then the opening should be small and this can be managed by keeping the area clean and dry. Your body should heal in that area. I would advise that you follow up with your surgeon to make sure everything in ok.

Tahira Prendergast MD

Tahira Prendergast, MD
Columbus General Surgeon