Will my revision be as hard as the first surgery? (Photos)

I previously asked if my tummy tuck didn't hold up and most answers were yes. Since then I have had two consults. Both confirming my abdominal wall did not stay connected. I am scheduled for a revision in November. My surgeon says I will not need drains this time. Will the revision be an easier recovery? Will it be worth it? And is it possible to have my scar lowered? He will also be performing Lipo on my stomach and flanks.

Shouldn't be as hard

The real answer lies in how much additional muscle work is being done since thats typically the part that hurts. Its likely you won't need drains and its likely you're scar can be lowered...some. Good luck.

Munster Plastic Surgeon

Recovery for revision tummy tuck

It looks like you will benefit from further plication of the muscle, though hard to say from a photograph alone.  In that case, there is some discomfort but it may be less than the initial procedure.  Scar lowering is possible as well and a drain does not have to be used but often it is placed for a few days if there is more than limited undermining performed.  I think a revision will be worth it as you can see improvement to your overall shape, depending on the surgeon's skill and the techniques he employs at surgery.

Thomas A. Pane, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

What to expect with revision surgery.

When having revision surgery you really need to have specific discussions with your surgeon about what will be done and what to expect.  Revision surgery for abdominoplasty can mean very different things depending on exactly what will be done.

If your abdominal wall sutures failed for some reason then repeat plication (suturing) of the muscles will be necessary and in my experience the muscle sutures are what makes the recovery from abdominoplasty so difficult. Whether or not you need drains is not what makes the recovery difficult. Drains become sore and irritated after a while, but really do not add to recovery time for most individuals.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Will my revision be as hard as the first surgery?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and I am sorry that your results have not been what you anticipated.  Because of the need for an additional muscle repair it is likely that your recovery will be similar to your initial surgery in terms of discomfort and post surgical restrictions.  Depending on the amount of remaining abdominal skin excess you may be able to lower the horizontal scar but this may result in a smaller vertical scar being oriented between you belly button and lower scar as a result of the incision currently running around your belly button.  Hope this helps.

Revision Abdominoplasty

You should discuss these questions with your treating surgeon as individual cases will vary. The revision recovery will likely be easier. This depends on what revision the treating surgeon plans on.  Your expectations toward the surgery will likely determine your satisfaction. Your expectation and the expected clinical outcome is something that you and the treating surgeon would need to discuss together in order to give the best prediction of your post op satisfaction. It is often possible to lower the scar slightly during revision abdominoplasty.