Are the size of my areolas large or too large? (Photo)

I never knew the difference until recently, my friend has almost the exact same areolas as me, except her breasts are smaller. But I've seen other girls, and their areolas are much smaller. Are these considered too big? Or normal or just a little bigger? What exactly is considered a normal sized areola and a large areola? And if I were to consider an areola reduction, would that leave scars? At least noticeable scars?

Straight Answers

While your nipples are normal you have some element of breast herniation into the areola.  This is more of a description then a true pathology.

If this appearance bothers you a simple doughnut mastopexy can correct the problem.  It will flatten and reduce the diameter of the nipple/areolar complex.  If you desire a higher and tighter breasts then a full lift may be indicated.

Again this is not an abnormality.  It is simply a breast configuration.

Are my nipples too large

Thank you so much for your question about the size of your nipples.

Your areolae are perfectly normal - but on the wider side of normal.
Some women have tiny areolae, some quite large but all normal.
Yes, an areolar reduction wil leave a scar around each areola.
These scars are very noticeable at first, improve with time but are never invisible.

If they don't bother you - now that you know you are normal - then there is no need to reduce them.

Be sure to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Here’s hoping you find this helpful. Have a great day!

Are my Areolas large or too large?

The size of the areolae depend on the stretching of the breasts.  You have slightly stretched your breasts and they are drooping.  The nipple-areolar complex is below the inframammary line which defines the droop. If you measure with a ruler the diameter of the areolae should be an aesthetic breast for a C-D cup around 45mm. If you measure your areolas, they are probably 60-70mm. There is a reduction of the areolae that can also be incorporated just around the areolas, and the scars are usually quite good.  We use a technique that was described by a French Plastic Surgeon with a very nice goretex suture and has been improved by a Plastic Surgeon at Michigan State Dr. Dennis Hammond, called a wagon wheel type suture.

Alan B. Pillersdorf, MD

Are the size of my areolas large or too large?

If you want the areolar size to be reduced, this can be accomplished.  If you are happy with the size, leave them alone.

From the photos your areolas appear to be large. The normal size is about 4.5cm( under 2 inches in diameter). If they bother you, they can be reduced under local anesthesia by making an incision strictly around the areola which usually leaves a very satisfactory scar.

George Lefkovits, MD

Are my areolas large or too large?

There is a wide range of areolar size.  You areolas are large but within the range of normal.  I would suggest reviewing before and after pictures with a qualified surgeon to judge whether the trade off of scars is worth the reduction in areola size. The procedure would a small procedure that many would perform in their office with local anesthesia and perhaps light oral sedation.

You ask a very very personal interpretation of the normal. That is more up to your desires than ours......

It's a matter of personal preference

Areolas come in all sizes and shape and colors.  My personal preference would be to reduce your areola size but there is no one 'ideal' size.  It's whatever you prefer.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Too is a value judgement too big or too small in whose eyes.  That said when surgeons make areola smaller the largest areola cookie cutter used is 5cm in diameter and the smallest 3.8cm

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Areola size

Your areola are on the large size and can be reduced if you decide to lift your breasts. Best of luck with your decision to move forward.