I had juvederm 3 months ago and it has left me with a scar between my top lip and my nose. What can you recommend? (Photo)

I had juvederm lip fillers done 3 months ago by a lady who has a treatment room in her house. the day after I had them done a red bruise appeared between my top lip and my nose. After a few days this turned into a scab and was on my face for about 3 weeks. Now the scab has gone but it's left a scar and is still red around it and I'm pretty sure it's not going to reduce any more. I have tried arnica cream and tablets but nothing seems to be doing the trick. What would you recommend?

Scar after Juvederm treatment

I would see a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist for your injections in the future.  Lips are highly vascular and juvederm in the wrong hands can lead to some very serious complications.   

I had Juvederm 3 months ago and it left me with a scar between my top lip and nose.

Thank you for your question and photograph.  If the Juvederm led to skin loss of the upper lip I would advocate local skin care with use of a scar cream and a sunblock to prevent abnormal pigmentation.  If the scar is more a result of the Juvederm in place you should ask your injector to dissolve the filler to allow your lip to heal.  If your injector does not supply you with appropriate answers, seek a second opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon.  Hope this helps.

Scar After Juvederm in Lip

You are lucky that's all that happened! Please, for your health and safety, limit your injections to plastic surgeons and dermatologists who've spent years in training and who know the anatomy and know how deeply and where to inject. From you story, it seems as if the "lady" injected too superficially and may have caused some skin necrosis, which initially would have become purple/dark purple/black and then become a scab. The damage has been done, so let's look forward and think positively.

At 3 months out, you can still improve the appearance of any scarring. It is normal for it to be pink/red at this stage. First, protect the scar from sunlight/UV rays. This included tanning beds. Use a protective hat or shield when you are out and always use sunscreen of 30 SPF or more on your face. You'll need to protect your scar like this for the next 12-15 months to get the best possible outcome. Sun/UV exposure can make the scar end up darker and more obvious. Also, you may want to consider investing in a scar gel that has silicone in it, such as Biocorneum. Granted it's stated to be for use in the first 3 months after an injury, but some people have gotten improvement even after that time. Best of luck to you!

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Scar on Face -- Lasers, Microneedling/PRP, Subcision, Fillers, Dermaflage/ScarMD, skin lightening

This can be treated with lasers, fillers or microneedling.  Please see a scarring expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Juvederm Complication

Thank you for your question. It looks like you had a complication called "skin necrosis" from your filler injection where the blood flow to your skin is compromised by the filler and part of the skin essentially scabs and dies, leaving tissue damage and a scar. I would see a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for any future injections since safety is number one. If and when filler complications do arise, the doctor will be able to help minimize the adverse effect as much as possible - such as using hyaluronidase injections to dissolve Juvederm.  At this time, I would advise you to see a dermatologist or plastic surgeon for scar improvement options. Commonly, this will include laser resurfacing with pulsed dye laser followed by at-home scar care. I have seen some wonderful scar improvement with this combination. The sooner you start treatment, the better the result usually is.

Anita Saluja, MD
Melbourne Dermatologist