Implants 6 months ago. Right Breast always hurts. Past 24 hours swollen, red streaks, flu like symptoms. Pain is horrible.

Had a bacterial infection one month post op and took antibiotics but pain has always been there. Past 24 hours breast is hard, very swollen with red streaks. I feel like I hurt all over. What does this sound like is going on?

Possible infectio

I agree this needs to be looked at urgently by your surgeon or an expert in your area as it sounds like it could be an infection starting 

Breast pain with redness and flu symptoms.

you need to see your surgeon right away as this could be an infection. If you can not get in to see him please call my office as you are in my area and I will be more than happy to look at you. Hope all does well.

William J. Hedden, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

6 month post breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear that you are having a difficult time post surgery. Your symptoms suggest a possible infection. It would be best to contact your surgeon as soon as possible.

Possible infection

Your symptoms are consistent with infection and you should see your surgeon today. The course of treatment will depend on the degree of infection and may need to remove implant if not responding to antibiotics

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast hurts and is swollen, with red streaks, and flu like symptoms

You certainly could have another infection. Notify your surgeon right away and be evaluated by them.

Needs an exam

This could be another infection that needs urgent treatment.  Best to call your plastic surgeon for an evaluation.

Need to be seen

There are few plastic surgery urgency but this is one.  Any unusual breast pain that you are describing should be seen.  Call your surgeon.  If treated early, you may do just fine.

Best Wishes,

Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS

Hardening, swelling, red streaks - Diagnosis?

I am sorry about the symptoms you are experiencing. Because you had bacterial infection in the right breast, that may have made the breast more susceptible to another recurrent infection or even capsular contracture.

Capsular contracture refers to tightening of the scar tissue that normally forms around the implants resulting in hardened, painful, and abnormal looking breasts with varying degrees of severity. The capsule is fibrous tissue that naturally forms when anything foreign is placed in our body – this happens with heart devices as well. However, when there is too much inflammation, fluid collection, or bacterial contamination, the fibrous capsule can start to scar down further and contract.

Without pictures, and in-person exam, no conclusive diagnosis can be made.

I highly urge you to not wait, and set up an in-person follow-up with your surgeon as soon as possible. If not possible, have it checked in the hospital or walk-in-clinic.

Take care

Martin Jugenburg, MD