Do I need a full or mini tummy tuck? (photos)

37 year old 112 lbs, I went to see a consultant 2 years ago who advised me that I needed a mini tummy tuck, I have recently been to see the same surgeon as I believe he is a good surgeon but he has told me that I would more suited to a fully tummy tuck, I am just concerned as I am not entirely sure why it has changed since my last visit as I look exactly the same. I had a baby at a very young age 18 years ago an have since wanted this procedure. I intend to have more children in the future but don't want to wait.

You would benefit from a full tummy tuck with muscle repair that would give you the best result, an in person consultation with a board certified PS would be best, good luck.

Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question and photos. 

The three main types of tummy tucks include the mini tummy tuck, standard tummy tuck, and the extended tummy tuck.

The mini tummy tuck removes a smaller portion of the skin. This procedure is best for individuals with a small amount of belly fat that won’t be reduced by diet and exercise.

The standard tummy tuck is ideal for both men and women who are in good physical health but have a mediocre amount of loose skin in the abdominal area. This form of a tummy tuck is suitable for patients who have lost a significant amount of weight, or are women who have excess fat and/or weak muscles after pregnancy.

The extended tummy tuck is best for patients with a large amount of loose skin on their abdomen, hips, and along the sides of their lower back.

During consultation, the board certified plastic surgeon will thoroughly examine you and determine the best procedure(s) for you.

If you are still considering to have more children, then you may want to postpone the tummy tuck surgery until you are done having children. The reason being, during surgery, the vertical muscles are tightened and future pregnancies can divide those muscles. 

Hope this helps,

Dr. Newall 

German Newall, MD

Tummy Tuck - Am I A Candidate?

Thank you for your question and photos. You appear to be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck. The abdominal skin excision and muscle tightening could give you an excellent contour as well as improve the tone of the anterior abdominal wall. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person examination to discuss the specific details of the procedures. Ask to see before and after photos to get an idea of what can be achieved. Hope this helps!

Do I need a full or mini tummy tuck

Occasionally doctors will change their opinion over time with experience. Sometimes just looking at pictures or a patient a second time changes one's mind. A full tummy tuck is the more appropriate procedure in my opinion based on your photographs.

Full tuck is indicated with excess skin or muscle laxity above belly button

Hi, I just added a link that might be helpful...

Hi Cleopatra1979.  Thanks for sharing photos.  Since you have excess skin above the belly button, a full tuck would provide you with maximum reshaping.  If you see significant loosening and tightening with exhaling/inhaling above the belly button, this is another reason to do a full tuck.  When all the changes are limited to below the belly button, a mini tuck is sufficient.  Pregnancy after a tuck can proceed normally, however be prepared to loose some of your correction--BTW, happily, none of my patients lost enough of the initial correction to warrant a revision after delivery.  Best wishes,

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck Candidate

In my opinion, you definitely need a full tummy tuck. Although a mini tummy tuck sounds appealing, your results would be subtle and it wouldn't be worth it. Good candidates for mini tummy tucks are uncommon. They already look great in a bikini, are thin, and have a little extra skin in the lower abdominal area only. 

Tummy Tuck

Hi Cleopatra1979,

Thank you for the pictures and questions. Based on the pictures you submitted it looks as if you would benefit from a full tummy tuck. I suggest consulting with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area. Best of Luck!

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Dr Derby

Thank you for your question and the photos. You seem like a better candidate for the full Tummy Tuck because you have loose skin below and above the belly button and this can only be removed with a full Tummy Tuck. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Full tummy tuck

From these pictures it seems like you have enough skin laxity for a full tummy tuck. See a board certified plastic surgeon in your area with an expertise in body contouring and tummy tucks for more individualized information. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them.   Dean Vistnes, M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area 
#realself #drdeanvistnes #tummytuck

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Mini vs. full tummy tuck

This is an excellent question.  The answer depends upon what your goals are.  A mini tummy tuck is a shorter incision, and therefore less skin removal.  A full tummy tuck requires a longer incision, a better rejuvenation of your abdomen. Both procedures will tighten your abdominal muscles, contour your shape with liposuction.  After consultation with your surgeon, you can best determine what procedure is best for you.

Steven H. Wiener, MD