Breast explanation under muscle, close to flying dates either side.

I have had my Breast Implants in for four years, high profile, 325cc under muscle at age 22. I was scheduled in for my surgery2days post flying(9 hr flight). The secutary has since informed me not advisable to have a GA close after flying, my surgery has now been re-scheduled. However, the surgery now lands between two holiday dates. I will have my surgery 10 days post flying and also, 10 days prior to flying again. Should I be concerned or is this acceptable durations? Thank you in advance.

Flying

Your concerns about flying are unwarrranted. You can fly the next day and fly in the day before without any effect unless your surgery is prolonged and ambulation is delayed

Weston Plastic Surgeon

Breast surgery and flying

Thank you for your question. You are bound to hear many different answers to your question. I perform over 2500 breast surgeries a year and half of those patient fly from out of the state or country. Our policy has always been the patient has to stay at least 24 hours which is the time period of the highest risk for bleeding. We also suggest patients to get the bliss insurance. This insurance then covers everything even flying them back if needed. But here's the key to your question. If a surgeon will be meticulous with the surgery and preventing bleeding the risk is significantly lower of having an issue arise. I think tens days before and after is crazy with no scientific basis. A couple days should be fine.

William J. Hedden, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Surgery and travel

Each surgeon may be a bit different in terms of travel pre and post-op. There is no right answer that is supported strongly in the literature was far as I know.  Best to discuss with your surgeon.

Breast explanation - is ten days recovery enough before flying

Thank you for asking about your breast explanation.

• Ten days before and after your surgery should be fine for recovery before and after a 9 hour flight.
  • Get daily exercise such as a 30 minute walk in the days before your surgery.
  • On the in and out flights, you should also knee-high compression stockings to support your lower legs.
  • On the flight, standing up and walking up and down the plane every hour, exercising your legs while in your seat and drinking plenty of water will also help.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Surgery and flying

That should be adequate time for you to recover as long as your recovery goes normally.  Speak with your surgeon regarding the situation, as you want to know up front in case he/she is not in agreement with this time frame.

Camille Cash, MD

Breast explanation under muscle, close to flying dates either side of operation.

Having your surgery 10 days after flying and again 10 days before flying should be enough time to recover after your operation.  With your long flight of 9 hours, be sure to follow guidelines to reduce risk of blood clots:  get up out of your seat and walk about the plane, stay hydrated, avoid alcohol, and ask your surgeon about use of compression hose to wear after surgery. Best wishes. 

Jeanette Padgett, MD, FACS
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

#Explant #BreastImplantRemoval - close to flying dates

That should be enough time to safely recover, and is appropriate for both procedures.  You can help by keeping yourself well-hydrated during the flights, and making sure that you get up and walk around.  I agree with the caution your surgeon's office had with respect to the timing of your surgery and general anesthesia (and/or any larger procedure under any form of anesthesia).  I hope that this helps and good luck.  Dr. Alan Engler, Member of #RealSelf500

Dates should be fine with regard to flying

Thanks for your question. In a straightforward implant removal, there is minimal work done to the pocket or capsule. Your dates should be fine. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD