Can I get a lower blepharoplasty?

I had 2 small medpor implants malar under each eye about 15 years ago to correct flatness and worked great but now have eye bags pretty bad. Can I get lower blepharoplasty or would that affect implants seeing as tissue grows around them (medpor) - they are both attached to the bone with titanium screw.

Can I get a lower blepharoplasty?

Hello susielou7,
Thanks for your question.
Done carefully, you should be able to have a lower blepharoplasty surgery.  The medpor implants are placed directly on bone.  The relevant anatomy for blepharoplasty is more superficial than this.  It is important to leave the implants alone to avoid extra scar retraction on the lower eyelids.
I would recommend that you consult with a specialist in eyelid surgery to learn more about your options.
Good luck,
Dr. Shah

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Lower blepharoplasty after Medpor implants

As long as a Medpor implants  were placed in their correct anatomical position, its best to leave them alone, and they should not affect a lower blepharoplasty procedure. Always best to tell  your operative surgeon so that they know that the implants are present.

Medpor Eyelid Implants 15 years on and eyebags now

We all age and although your implants were helpful 15 years ago, the eyebags are now apparent. Tissue ingrowth into the Medpore already happened many years ago and any remodelling has already occurred. Therefore on the one hand I don't think the implants will be a problem, on the otherhand no one wants really to risk taking them out or going too near them. If they are in the upper cheeks, then it should be possible to operate above them and avoid them. There may be a little more scarring around the orbital rim. The eyelid tissue is so thin and delicate, I advise that you see a surgeon especially trained in eyelid surgery, specifically an oculoplastic surgeon who has done Oculoplastic Fellowship training, for examination and advice.

Jane Olver, MBBS, FRCS
London Oculoplastic Surgeon

Can I get a lower blepharoplasty?

Hello Susielou7,

Your previous implants should have no effect on your ability to receive a lower blepharoplasty.  The areas of treatment are different and one should not affect the other.  To determine if you are a good candidate for a lower blepharoplasty, I'd recommend you consult with a facial plastic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, or plastic surgeon.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower lids

susielou7, no problem just see a facial plastic specialist and try and find someone familiar with a "SOOF lift blepharoplasty". I have found this to be the best way to rejuventat the  lower lid. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

There is no contraindication for lower eyelid blepharoplasty with cheek implants.

Yes, you can have lower eyelid blepharoplasty if you qualify for the procedure. You medpor implants in the cheek will not cause any problems.  

Lower Blepharoplasty

You can certainly still correct your lower lids even with implants.  There are options depending on how much extra skin you have and/ or how much is fatty tissue.

The implants having been there 15 years would be best left alone.

Melanie L. Petro, MD
Birmingham Facial Plastic Surgeon

Implants plus lower bleph

It might be possible to do it.If your only problem is the fat pads one might consider a transconjunctival lower lid bleph.I would maybe go see your original doctor.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon