Am I a good candidate for a FUE hair transplant? I am concerned about shock loss.

I was thinking of a FUE of 1000 hairs so it would have min. affect on the blood supply to avoid risk of shock loss. Reluctant to uses propecia due to side affects. I am currently on monoxidil and LLT. Please advise.

Shock loss is one of the risks associated with hair transplant surgery. To understand your risk it is best to see a doctor

Shock loss is one of the risks associated with hair transplant surgery.  To understand your particular risk it is best to see a doctor for an examination.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Shock Loss after Hair Transplant

Shock loss is now less of a concern in experienced hands if recipient sites are made correctly. Younger patients and women with female pattern balding are more at risk. You may be a candidate for hair transplantation. You should work with a full time hair restoration surgeon to develop a long term plan that takes into account your expected future hair loss and also explore medical therapies as well surgical treatment. 1,000 hairs is a very small amount of hair to have transplanted and may not meet your aesthetic desires. Most individuals with no hair loss have approximately 100,000 hairs on their head. 

Brian Goertz, MD
Seattle Hair Restoration Surgeon

Shock Loss

Shock loss is a risk for any hair transplant patient, but the younger you are, the greater the risk. The drug finasteride seems to work well to prevent shock loss in most patients. See below

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon