How can I get rid of my Double Chin after losing a lot of weight, I am only 28 years old? (photos)

I have extra skin in my neck that is really bothering me after losing more than 35kilo grams and I don't know if i can do neck lift while am only 28yrs . Please help

Submental Fat Reduction

Thank you for your question. Congratulations on your weight loss. There are several efficacious methods for submental fat reduction such as liposuction and the injectable drug Kybella. I would recommend an in person exam to determine your candidacy. Best wishes. 

Double Chin Solutions

Thank you for the helpful photos and congratulations on losing your weight. I would recommend talking to a board certified oculoplastic surgeon for potential options. If you still have some fullness under the chin, you could consider Kybella injections to melt fat and allow your skin to retract even further into your submentum. You could also try a non-invasive procedure to melt fat and shrink the skin. Infini RF is a non-invasive procedure that is shown to do very well in your area of concern. Hope this helps.

Alan B. Brackup, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Neck tightening options for you

Thanks for sharing.  Being young your skin will contract with the weight loss.  However, if you have reached its maximum amount of contraction then some intervention will help.  Neck lifting with incisions hopefully can be avoided with someone your age.  Most likely laser liposuction and conservative liposuction and probable platysmaplasty would be the treatment required to give you the best results balanced with safety and recovery. Best of luck!

Raymond E. Lee, MD

Neck lift

Thank you for your question. Given your youthful skin, you would likely do quite well with Kybella injections or with Smartlipo liposuction to this area. You may also benefit from augmenting your chin just slightly. This can be done in several ways, but I prefer to use your body's own fat (fat grafting). I would suggest finding a trusted plastic surgeon near you.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Neck liposuction vs Kybella to address the submental (under chin) area

Thank you for your question and for posting photos. While an in-person consultation is necessary to formulate a treatment plan, based upon your photos you appear to be an excellent candidate for submental liposuction or kybella to sculp the under chin area. Doing either will remove residual excess adipose (fat) tissue and result in better neck-jaw definition. 

Liposuction is a surgical procedure whereby a liposuction cannula (thin tube) to suction away the excess fat. A compressive dressing is worn continuously for one week, then at night for one additional week. You can generally return to work in 7-10 days and normal activities in 14 days. The results will be seen once postoperative swelling has subsided in about 2-4 weeks. 

Kybella is a non-surgical injection that dissolves fat and this is then removed by your body. Multiple treatments will be needed (about 4-8 weeks between injections), with results visible about 6 weeks after your last treatment.

I recommend you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Josh Surowitz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck Contour Issues After Weight Loss

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your weight loss. Despite your young age, significant weight loss can cause significant skin and muscle laxity in addition to some residual fat.  Fat alone responds to liposuction or Kybella.   Skin and muscle laxity responds best to a necklift.  It can be performed under IV sedation with a short 1-2 week recovery and excellent results.  Anatomy is the indicating factor, not age alone.  Non-invasive treatments sound great on the surface but not very effective in addressing stuctural problems.  Hope that helps!

Getting Rid of Extra Skin

A combination of VASER hi def liposuction with ThermiRF will give great results in contouring and defining your chin and jawline.  I suggest seeing a cosmetic surgeon for an evaluation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Improving neck skin after weight loss.

An examination would be necessary to give a definitive answer to how best to improve your neck contour.  The exam would show what the extra tissue consists of; skin only, skin and fat, skin, fat, and lax muscle.  If it is only loose skin some lasers may give you enough tightening to improve your contour.  If there is residual fat under the skin, liposuction of the chin/neck could improve your neck contour.  See a board certified plastic surgeon for a detailed consultation about what would be best for you.

neck lift candidate

A full set of photographs are required of the neck to make a determination about being a candidate for a surgical procedure on the neck. In addition, if there is loose and inelastic skin from a significant weight loss,  the procedure may need to be modified depending upon the elasticity of the skin in the neck. For more information  and many examples of neck lifts, please see the link and the video below

Weight Loss and Neck Sagging

Thank you for sharing. First off, congratulations on losing the's a big achievement that you should be proud of. The downside of the significant weight loss is that your facial and neck skin can sag as a result. Based on your pictures I would recommend conservative liposuction underneath your chin (to remove any left over fat) with possible tightening of the platysma muscle directly under the chin (ie submentoplasty). The only incision would be a tiny one in the natural crease under your chin (less than an inch wide). You may want to consider making your chin slightly larger to help give the illusion of a more defined neck as well. This would also help to balance the other features of your face (ie lips and nose). There is no right or wrong as far as making your chin larger, just a recommendation that you may find helpful to consider. Good luck!

Paul Lanfranchi, DO, FAOCO
Las Vegas Facial Plastic Surgeon