How can I get rid of my Double Chin after losing a lot of weight, I am only 28 years old? (photos)

I have extra skin in my neck that is really bothering me after losing more than 35kilo grams and I don't know if i can do neck lift while am only 28yrs . Please help

Addressing Chin Concern at Age 28 After Weight Loss

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Congratulations on your #weight loss. It really depends on the amount of #sagging you are experiencing.  The presence of banding down the front of the #neck, and, amount of excess skin and condition of your skin are among some factors which determine if you are a #candidate for #rejuvenating the neck. During an in-person examination, your chin will be evaluated along with the neck and jawline. A weak #chin implies a lack of chin support for the skin along the neck line. In younger individuals a chin implant alone is usually all that is needed to improve the appearance of the neck. Subsequently, it will also improve the overall #balance of the face and can create the illusion of a smaller nose. As a stand-alone procedure, chin augmentation can be performed in the office under local #anesthesia. For individuals with signs of #aging in the neck, a chin implant added to one of the recommended procedures above, will provide optimal results.

The best neck #lift surgeon will evaluate both your anatomical features and aesthetic goals to determine which neck lift procedure best suits your individual needs. In some cases your plastic surgeon may give you more than one option to choose from. If you are not a candidate at the time of your #consultation, your board certified plastic surgeon can recommend non-surgical alternatives to address your concern.

Neck Lift

Thank you for your question. While neck lift is certainly an option, your youth and your skin's ability to form tightness suggest that a neck lift may not be appropriate right now. Kybella is an excellent FDA-approved injectable that can eliminate submental fullness (double chin) due to submental fat. I suggest that you move forward and consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Submental Fat Reduction

Thank you for your question. Congratulations on your weight loss. There are several efficacious methods for submental fat reduction such as liposuction and the injectable drug Kybella. I would recommend an in person exam to determine your candidacy. Best wishes. 

Leonard Lu, MD

Double Chin Solutions

Thank you for the helpful photos and congratulations on losing your weight. I would recommend talking to a board certified oculoplastic surgeon for potential options. If you still have some fullness under the chin, you could consider Kybella injections to melt fat and allow your skin to retract even further into your submentum. You could also try a non-invasive procedure to melt fat and shrink the skin. Infini RF is a non-invasive procedure that is shown to do very well in your area of concern. Hope this helps.

Alan B. Brackup, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Neck tightening options for you

Thanks for sharing.  Being young your skin will contract with the weight loss.  However, if you have reached its maximum amount of contraction then some intervention will help.  Neck lifting with incisions hopefully can be avoided with someone your age.  Most likely laser liposuction and conservative liposuction and probable platysmaplasty would be the treatment required to give you the best results balanced with safety and recovery. Best of luck!

Raymond E. Lee, MD

Neck lift

Thank you for your question. Given your youthful skin, you would likely do quite well with Kybella injections or with Smartlipo liposuction to this area. You may also benefit from augmenting your chin just slightly. This can be done in several ways, but I prefer to use your body's own fat (fat grafting). I would suggest finding a trusted plastic surgeon near you.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Neck liposuction vs Kybella to address the submental (under chin) area

Thank you for your question and for posting photos. While an in-person consultation is necessary to formulate a treatment plan, based upon your photos you appear to be an excellent candidate for submental liposuction or kybella to sculp the under chin area. Doing either will remove residual excess adipose (fat) tissue and result in better neck-jaw definition. 

Liposuction is a surgical procedure whereby a liposuction cannula (thin tube) to suction away the excess fat. A compressive dressing is worn continuously for one week, then at night for one additional week. You can generally return to work in 7-10 days and normal activities in 14 days. The results will be seen once postoperative swelling has subsided in about 2-4 weeks. 

Kybella is a non-surgical injection that dissolves fat and this is then removed by your body. Multiple treatments will be needed (about 4-8 weeks between injections), with results visible about 6 weeks after your last treatment.

I recommend you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Josh Surowitz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck Contour Issues After Weight Loss

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your weight loss. Despite your young age, significant weight loss can cause significant skin and muscle laxity in addition to some residual fat.  Fat alone responds to liposuction or Kybella.   Skin and muscle laxity responds best to a necklift.  It can be performed under IV sedation with a short 1-2 week recovery and excellent results.  Anatomy is the indicating factor, not age alone.  Non-invasive treatments sound great on the surface but not very effective in addressing stuctural problems.  Hope that helps!

Getting Rid of Extra Skin

A combination of VASER hi def liposuction with ThermiRF will give great results in contouring and defining your chin and jawline.  I suggest seeing a cosmetic surgeon for an evaluation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Improving neck skin after weight loss.

An examination would be necessary to give a definitive answer to how best to improve your neck contour.  The exam would show what the extra tissue consists of; skin only, skin and fat, skin, fat, and lax muscle.  If it is only loose skin some lasers may give you enough tightening to improve your contour.  If there is residual fat under the skin, liposuction of the chin/neck could improve your neck contour.  See a board certified plastic surgeon for a detailed consultation about what would be best for you.