How can I know if I have gynecomastia?

thank you

Consult with a Board Certified Surgeon to Better Determine

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades.  About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement. 

There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal candidate. Weight, and more specifically body mass index (BMI), need to be considered when deciding.
Consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon is highly suggested in order to determine if you are a surgery candidate and what treatments are best for you.

Gynecomastia

It really depends on your chest contour and if it is negatively affected by excess fat, sagging skin and excess breast tissue. If you suspect you have gynecomastia then you should see a plastic surgeon for an assessment. 

How can I know if I have gynecomastia

Its a clinical diagnosis and than any tests.
Said that, Its more how bad you feel about it thats more important.
It can be a small puffy nipple or a drooping size D breast but if you are uncomfortable with the shape the only solution is surgery
best of luck

Fat Vs. Gynecomastia

Dear david444,

If you are dissatisfied with puffy nipples or fullness of the male chest, there are only two diagnoses. It is either gynecomastia or it is simply fat weight gain. You should be able to tell by the softness of the tissue whether it is as soft as the fat of the lower abdomen or whether there is a firmness to it, which would be consistent with the glandular tissue found in gynecomastia. It is an important differentiation because diet and exercise will take care of one whereas gynecomastia will require surgery once it is well established. In achieving the best result, gynecomastia surgery requires a great deal of experience on the part of the surgeon.

I hope this has been helpful to you.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Gynecomastia

An in person evaluation with a board certified plastic surgeon would be the best way to determine if you have gynecomastia. 

Jeremy A. Benedetti, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Examination by a doctor will determine whether you have gynecomastia

It is not a good idea to self diagnose anything.  If you are worried you should see a doctor for evaluation.  That is the only right way.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Gynecomastia Lebanon, OK

How should I choose a surgeon?
Selecting a surgeon is as important a choice as the decision to undergo surgery. Choose carefully only a board certified PLASTIC SURGEON. The decision is yours. What follows is some advice to assist in making your selection.
1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon who has performed over one thousand gynecomastia cases increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience.
2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures a surgeon displays, the better. Pay attention not just to the number of pictures, but whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient.
3. Gynecomastia surgery Reviews matter. Have patients reviewed your surgeon? Did those patients undergo the surgery you are considering?
4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Are they certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery?
We hope these guidelines are of assistance when you are selecting your surgeon. When undergoing surgery, it is very important to be realistic about your expectations. Past results are not a guarantee of future results. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.

Mordcai Blau, MD