Leaking Implant?

I have saline implants that were placed 5 years ago. I have never had any problems with them at all. Yesterday morning I was unloading the dishwasher and felt a weird sensation in my left breast- almost like bubbles. If I press on the area it feels like there is fluid there. It is still the same size but I think the bottom of the breast feels softer. Could this be a slow leak? I just finished nursing my son a month ago- I nursed him for a yr- could it be related to that? Thank you.

Leaking Implant?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If your saline implant is leaking you will know within just a few days and will see a noticeable deflation on one side. You can certainly go back to see your surgeon or another board certified surgeon if your location has changed or for any other reason. Always helpful to bring the implant information if you have saved that anywhere or you can contact the plastic surgeon who performed the augmentation to inquire if they still have that information. You can replace just the one side or both if you are considering a different size or switching from saline to silicone. 

Providence Plastic Surgeon

Slow leak?

Saline implants are either there or gone. If you have a leak, you will find out soon enough because the implant will completely deflate and leave you with a greater asymmetry. If that happens, contact a plastic surgeon and bring in the info regarding your implant so they know what needs to be replaced.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Saline breast implant leaks very slowly.

Hi.

It does sound like you may have an early leak.  See a plastic surgeon.  If you do have a leak, it is best to replace the implant quickly.  Otherwise, the implant pocket shrinks, and much more surgery is necessary.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Saline Breast Implant Leaking?

Unfortunately, without direct examination it is not possible to give you specific/precise advice. In the event that you are experiencing a leaking saline breast implant,  you will find that the breast will gradually decrease in size and you may experience increased rippling of the breast implant. In other words, time will tell.

You should have peace of mind however  that there are no health concerns IF  you are experiencing a saline breast implant leak.

It is also a possibility that the “fluid” that you are feeling when you palpate the breast is your breast implant;  many women are able to feel their breast implants more so after child birth and breast-feeding then they were able to do so before hand.  This is because many women experience in  “involutional hypoplasia";  their breasts become smaller/empty feeling after childbirth and/or breast-feeding.

For more precise diagnosis/advice consider following up with your plastic surgeon.