Any suggestions for Skin Care Pre-Treatment?

I am scheduled for Laser Resurfacing on April 15, 2016 (along with submental liposuction w/Thermi-tight on the neck). I would like to know what I can do for my skin prior to the treatments to help it heal "flawlessly"...lol...maybe a specific skin product or system (i.e. Aquaphor is often used afterward...anything recommended for pre-treatment?). Also anything I can do to keep myself from bruising too much from the liposuction? And what to use Post-treatment for coverage?

Laser Resurfacing

Thank you for your question. With laser resurfacing, enhancement of your skin is the goal. That said, different surgeons have different preferences regarding their pre- and post-treatment care. I suggest that you discuss your skin care instructions with your board certified facial plastic surgeon. You should always follow best practices with sun exposure.

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hydrate skin, vitamin A

OK, studies have shown that pre-treating the skin with vitamin A can help speed up healing times. You should commence 2-3 months prior, stop 3-5 days before. Hydration of you skin is important, as for laser resurfacing the target is water. Other than that, its the technique that will give you the very best results. All the best, Dr Davin Lim. Laser and aesthetic dermatologist, Brisbane. Australia.

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

What to Do Before and After Laser?

Great question! The pre and post care for standard non-ablative laser resurfacing is fairly simple, yet important to the outcome of your treatment.

A few days before your treatment, stop use of any retinoids or acid-based skin care products (ie. salicylic, glycolic, etc). You may resume these products following your treatment once your skin is fully healed. If you are prone to cold sores or fever blisters, you will want to start an anti-viral such as Valtrex about 3-5 days before your treatment, as heating up the skin may cause a flare-up.

Following your treatment, applying sunblock and avoiding prolonged exposure to the sun will be imperative to the healing process. You may apply Aquaphor or a similar skin emulsion to help moisturize and protect your skin. If you are able, let your skin breathe without makeup for as long as possible post treatment, however a lightweight, mineral-based product may be used to help with redness.

In order to minimize bruising from the liposuction, you should discontinue any kind of blood thinners at least 3-5 days before your treatment. This includes but is not limited to aspirin, fish oil, and Vitamin E. If you have any further questions, be sure to consult with your physician. Best of luck with your procedures!

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon