Separation of wedge labiaplasty with stitches partially intact. Will this fill in or do I need a revision? (photo)

I had a wedge labiaplasty done 10 days ago but noticed a pulling sensation on the right side. When I looked it seems like it partially came apart. Question is: Will everything fill in on its own with time or will I more than likely need a revision in a few months? I'mean not sure what I'm looking at here lol

Your wedge labiaplasty

appears to have included part of your majora... and I can't say I've seen that before.  But I suppose if that does the trick for you, I will hold judgment until your final results are in.  As for the separation of your incision, all you can do at this point is to allow it to heal on its own with good wound care.  The jury says you should wait 6 months before having any revisions done.  Assuming your surgeon is experienced with this procedure (did he show you photos of his work, both good and not so good?), you should be able to invoke the revision policy to have this repaired.  Your surgeon should share the same goals as you and if you meet resistance, you should vent your experience through social media as surgeons hate it when their 'dirty laundry' is put out there.

Labia Reconstruction

Thank you for your question and sharing your photograph. It is challenging to evaluate your condition based on the photograph. Genital reconstruction can be more challenging than a labiaplasty to remove excessive skin.  I would recommend finding an experienced reconstructive genital surgeon, which include Cosmetic Urologists, even if it involves traveling.  The surgeon should be able to discuss the options with you based on your individual findings.  Best of luck.

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic and Reconstructive Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Separation of wedge labiaplasty with stitches partially intact. Will this fill in or do I need a revision?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and I am sorry to see your incisional separation.  If you can maintain tension off of the repair your body will be able to fill in some of the separation but you will likely be left with a small separation or notch in the labial edge.  Once you are further along in your healing (6-8 weeks) you will have a better idea as to your long-term results and can make the decision if your appearance is acceptable.  Best wishes.

Separation of wedge labiaplasty

As the inventor and innovator of the wedge technique in 1994, I reconstruct many women who have had labia reductions by other surgeons, both wedge and trimming techniques. You have significant disruption of your wedge labiaplasty and will need a revision. However, no attempt to revise your labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure as your appearance will improve, and the swelling will be less. You need to control your anxiety and wait. The reconstruction is more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about three years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone. I should be  You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions.

Gary J. Alter, M.D. 

Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NYC

Assistant Clinical Professor of Plastic Surgery

UCLA School of Medicine

Gary J. Alter, MD

Botched wedge labiaplasty will need a revision in six months

Your result looks awful. The scars extend onto the labia majora for no apparent reason and have distorted your anatomy. This mess can be fixed, but you'll have to wait at least six months for the tissues to regain sufficient strength for a good repair. See an expert next time.

Thank you for your question. Eventually it is going to fill in and heal. You have to wait about 3-4 months to see how the out come and decide, Please follow instructions from your surgeon

Early separation of wedge labiaplasty: will it fill in or will I need a revision?

I have performed ~ 400 wedges & ~ 250 linears so I have experience in wedges & healing issues. Yes, areas will fill in, especially on the left side laterally. However, there will be gaps bilaterally in your wedge which maty not be aestheticlaly bothersome. After it is ALL HEALED (will take 3 months) you can decide whether or not you wish revision. If you trust him or her, go back to your original surgeon, who will charge you little for a "trim" of any protruding edges. If you feel you may need a more extensive revision, I advise a 2nd or 3rd opinion from  plastic or cosmetic surgeons experienced in revisions

Separation of wedge labiaplasty 10 days post op

The area of separation appears to be superficial and should heal from the bottom up. This will prolong healing time but will heal on its own. You will know what the final results look like around 6-8 weeks after surgery. At that time, you could consider a revision if needed. 

Yet another, wound separation following Wedge Labiaplasty

Thank you for sharing your 10 day post op photo following a wedge resection labiaplasty. This is the most common complication I see in patients wanting a revision following this procedure. Sorry about your less than desirable outcome.

Yes, things will fill-in on their own without a need for intervention during this early phase of healing, however you will likely be unhappy with the final outcome. There will be small "dog-ears" on both labia and scarring along the sides. I recommend you consult with a cosmetic vaginal surgeon experienced in Revision Labiaplasty. Below is a link to my site where you'll find tips in choosing the best surgeon for you, thousands of Before and After photos, and information for our traveling patients who come to Denver for their surgery.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD

Aguirre Specialty Care - Pelvic Surgery & Intimate Aesthetics®

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Wedge resection

Dear vr0423:

I am sorry to hear of your post operative results. This is one of the most common complaints I see on the RealSelf website i.e. patients upset with the results of their labiaplasty. I agree that your results are less then desirable and most likely can be fixed at the time of revision surgery.  

I disagree with most surgeon who state that you must wait 6 months as i have been performing labia revisions on botched surgery at 3-4 months post operative for 16 years. Do not limit yourself to a surgeon in UT as this next surgery is going to be the best chance of restoring you to as close normal as you can get.

Choosing a cosmetic vaginal surgeon or any surgeon should be one of the most important decisions of your life. Failure to choose a surgeon with experience, expertise and one who achieves excellent results is not an easy find especially a surgeon who has experience with botched labiaplasties.  Please don’t just choose a surgeon because they claims to be specialist in plastic surgery --- choose a surgeon who can prove to you they are specialists in revision surgeries of poorly healed or botched labiaplasties..       

Choose a surgeon who has great before and after pictures especially in the realm of botched labiaplasties.

John R MIklos MD

Urogynecologist & Cosmetic Vaginal Surgery

Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai