What can I do about these nasolabial folds? Juvederm didn't work.

The dr I saw about 5 years ago warned me that Juvederm would not work with these folds due to the way my face comes together and said that I was too young for a facelift (I was 33). What are my options to fix these lines? Juvederm didn't work, is my only other option a facelift? Are there other, newer fillers out there that could fix these? Thank you Lisa

What will work for my nasolabial folds?

Hi Adam, Juvederm typically is a very good filler for the nasolabial folds. While it will not likely eliminate the folds it will certainly soften them. Another great options is fat transfer. Fat is a very robust filler that can result in a very natural, long lasting restoration of volume.

Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filler for Nasolabial folds

Nasolabial folds are a normal part of our appearance but the deepening of them is a sign of aging. This process is not just due to motion in the area but changes in the bony anatomy of our face and the fat pads that lay beneath the skin.   If you do have volume deficits in the cheeks these may need to be addressed to give you a better outcome in the nasolabial folds. Otherwise clients may just require additional filler to the nasolabial as a top up to give you the correction you are after  or use a thicker gel such as  Volift.  I always  suggest for you to rebook with your injector to address your concerns.

Janis Campbell, MD
Alberta Dermatologist

Correcting nasolabial folds

Thank you for asking about your Juvederm.

• Nasolabial folds can form because of loosening of the upper part of the cheeks.
  • It may be that you need much more filler to get a result -
  • Or that you need a face lift and fat injections.
  • A consultation with a plastic surgeon should be able to answer your question specifically for you.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

Juvederm to correct nasolabial folds

Juvederm is a fantastic product to correct the nasolabial folds.  If you could post a photo of your facial anatomy it would be more helpful.  However, often a product like Juvederm Voluma helps by lifting the cheek area and minimizing the area of the nasolabial folds. I often do a "liquid face lift" whereby I use a combination of Botox, Juvederm, to have great results.

Options for nasolabial folds

Although Juvederm, and other fillers, can be used to treat pronounced nasolabial folds by injection into the area, often the reason for the folds lies above in the effects of gravity and/or individual anatomy of the cheeks. If this is the case, Voluma (FDA approved for this use) or Radiesse (off-label) can be used to adjust the cheek and midface shape and lift the nasolabial region and jowls. For some situations, Sculptra is also appropriate. In some cases, energy modalities, such as radiofrequency and ultrasound can be used to increase skin tone, as an adjunct to the use of fillers. A facelift is rarely the only option. I encourage you to consult another physician, with expertise in this field.

Nicole Kafka, MD
New York General Surgeon

Treatment if nasolabial folds

There are many treatment options for nasolabial folds but the key is to look at the whole face and see what is really causing these folds. In many cases the volume deficits are in the upper cheeks, mid cheeks or even lateral cheeks. All these changes can make nasolabial folds look worse but only treating these folds will not really solve the problem.
I recommend that you see your doctor back and have your results re-assessed. 

Mariusz Sapijaszko, MD, FRCPC
Edmonton Dermatologic Surgeon

Nasolabial fold treatment options

Juvederm should work to help reduce nasolabial folds, but sometimes there are other issues such as loss of volume of the cheek creating a deep nasolabial fold in which case Voluma is more helpful.  It sounds like it's been a few years, just because one doctor couldn't help you doesn't mean there are no options out there.  Get another opinion, and maybe even more than one.  Get a great board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon to help. Also fat injections can be used for this purpose.  Maybe Ultherapy would help lift and tighten. 

Rebecca Baxt, MD
Paramus Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm Didnt Work What Do I Do

There are many other fillers that can be used for folds and contouring of the face as well as lifting.  Often combining these with lasers or radiofrequency devices can help improve the results of the fillers.  I suggest a formal consultation with a facial rejuvenation expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Juvederm Not Successful in Nasolabial Grooves

A facelift will do little to decrease your nasolabial grooves. It is rare that fillers don't improve this undesirable appearance; a longer acting product like Radiesse may be helpful. It would be easier to answer your question after seeing pictures or examining you.

What can I do about these nasolabial folds? Juvederm didn't work

Juvederm alone is often incompletely effective to reduce deep melolabial folds. An addition to our treatment options in the past year is Voluma which is specifically designed to fill and lift the cheeks which also has the effect of softening melolabial folds. That might be an option for you. You are still relatively young, 38, to consider a facelift but Ultherapy might be an option for you. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon