What do I do with bad plastic surgery results - I am 3 days post op on an arm and breast lift.

While I'm trying not to freak out too much, and plan to give it a few more weeks for swelling to go down, I'm currently very upset about the results. I can see no difference in the arms at all. After losing 200lbs, there seemed to be a great deal of skin. They still seem flabby and droopy. The beasts seem off center and asymmetrical - one is obviously bigger than the other. Additionally, my nipples are still pointing downward. What can I do?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue!

Once you've had surgery

all you can do is focus on the positive and heal.  And in your follow-up make sure your surgeon is aware of you concerns so he/she can be thinking of how to make things better for you if truly awful.  No surgeon wants awful results walking out there but we do have our limitations and sometimes we do have less that stellar results.  You should find out what the revision policy is in case you need  it as well.  But focus on the good and positive energy to help you heal.

Curtis Wong, MD

I'm sorry to hear about your concerns early out of surgery.  At this point, there is not much to do; time and patience is necessary.  Although I cannot predict whether or not you will be pleased with the longer-term outcome of the procedure performed, I can predict that your results will change over the course of the next several months. In the meantime, your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to accurate assessment, advice, and/or meaningful predictions or reassurance.  If, in the longer term, you remain displeased, revision surgery will likely be necessary. Best wishes.

Early unfavorable results

Hi Kalliea1,
So sorry that you are unhappy with her early results following an arm lift and breast lift.  As you know, these are difficult results following massive weight loss.  However, I don't think you should rush to conclusions immediately right after surgery.  There is still a lot of swelling that needs to be resolved and you really won't have a realistic look at your result for a minimum of 6 weeks.  Therefore, do not be to anxious at this time.  Be sure to mention your concerns to her plastic surgeon as I am sure that here she wants to be kept abreast of your thoughts.  Good luck.

Alfonso Oliva, MD, FACS
Spokane Plastic Surgeon

Arm Lift and Breast Lift Results After Massive Weight Loss

Thank you for the questions. You are very early in the recovery phase and the final results may not be apparent for several weeks or longer. Tell your surgeon about these concerns and follow his/ her instructions on post-operative care. I will tell you based on my experience and the experience of many surgeons that body contouring procedures after massive weight loss are very challenging as the behavior of the previously stretched out and loose tissues is less predictable. Revisions are needed more often in massive weight loss patients. I hope you eventually get a satisfactory result. 

David S. Motoki, MD
Draper Plastic Surgeon