Is it safe to have a mummy makeover after only quitting nicotine 3 days ago?

I have a hysterectomy and tummy tuck in 12 days and I just stopped smoking 3 days ago.I started taking Niacin and Vitamin C a week ago. Is it safe to do this procedure as scheduled or should I postpone it?

Smoking affects the skin in a bad way after tummy tuck

Smokers experience higher complication rates from surgery including more infections, implant exposure, skin damage and disfiguring scars, and lung problems. All patients are encouraged not to smoke or be exposed to smoke, but some patients just cannot or will not quit. There is no way to eliminate these added risks of nicotine by using other medications.
Some surgeries are much more susceptible to the effects of nicotine than other surgeries. I will not offer face lifts to smokers that cannot quit. The same can be said for breast augmentation combined with breast lift.
Other surgeries can be done safely in smokers if modifications are made to the technique that is used. Standard breast augmentation in smokers still has higher infection risks, but can be done safely by safeguarding against implant exposure. Several modifications like choosing smaller implants, areolar or axillary incisions, and no touch placement are recommended.
You should stop smoking 6 weeks before surgery and do not replace the cigarettes with Nicorette gum, nicotine patches, or e-cigs. Use this opportunity to give up smoking permanently, but if you must resume smoking, wait at least 2 weeks after the surgery before you do so.

Safe to Have Mommy Makeover After Quitting Smoking

I would think that since you have quit, and that there is still some more time before your surgery that you should be fine, but your own surgeon would be the best to answer this question. In case there is anything special in your procedure being completed I would recommend that you contact him before the procedure just to confirm that everything will be alright. Best of luck to you.

Smoking an surgery- please see your surgeon

Most experts unanimously agree that smoking increases the rate of breast augmentation surgical complications significantly. Just about all plastic surgeons strongly recommend women to stop smoking and all nicotine products well in advance of breast augmentation with breast implants. Many plastic surgeons recommend stopping all tobacco products several months prior to surgery.
Here is the reason why: the nicotine in cigarettes and other tobacco products (including Nicorette gum, patches, etc) is a vasoconstrictor, meaning it makes the Smoking is a significant multiplier of many potential complications following surgery and breast augmentation with implants are no exception. Nicotine from smoking causes blood vessels to vasoconstrict ( tighten up). Over time, these constricted arteries and capillaries deliver less blood to the breast tissue which is needed for normal healing. Smokers therefore have an increased incidence of higher likelihood of complications such as infection, and in particular capsular contracture (hardening and distortion of the implants). General complications of surgery such as blood clots, anesthetic problems such as pneumonia are also increased.
A scientific article in the Archives of Internal Medicine indicated that, among all forms of surgery, quitting smoking eight weeks prior was never associated with an increased risk of complications.
In young patients you will probably statistically avoid these complications, why tempt fate by increasing your odds that something bad will happen.On a long term basis, smoking also causes accelerated aging of the skin and loss of elasticity. Hopefully these reasons will help give you the will power and courage to stop smoking.

Smoking cessation

Thank you for your question.  In our practice we advise our patients to cease smoking and the use of any nicotine products for at least 2 weeks prior to surgery and to continue to avoid smoking or any nicotine products for a minimum of 4 weeks after surgery. Smoking increases every risk of surgery including bleeding, bruising, infection and scar formation.

With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD

Nicotine and plastic surgery risks

Your use of nicotine increases your risks from all types of surgery.  Your risks diminish if you stop two weeks before surgery, but they do not return to baseline for months or years, depending on factors such as length of history of nicotine, dosage of nicotine, age and other medical problems.  Your best bet is to stop nicotine now and forever.  Good luck.

David Stoker, MD

Smoking and surgery

Thank you for your question. Preparation is key when having surgery, we advise patients to have a healthy lifestyle with diet and exercise prior to surgery, and the closer to your ideal weight the better. That said, we do NOT want any crash diets because we need the body in good shape to heal. We also advise no smoking for at least a month before and after surgery. It would be best if you postpone it. Good luck!

You should stop 4 weeks prior to surgery date 
nicotine increase all types of risks in patients 
also should be off smoking for 4 weeks after surgery
Thank your for your question 
best of wishes !!

Safety should always be the primary concern in any procedure. The goal of all plastic surgeons that perform Mommy Makeovers is to improve the appearance with minimal side effects or problems. Exposure to smoke, either directly or indirectly, or the use of any nicotine releasing products, has been shown to increase the incidence of serious complications after Mommy Makeover surgery and in most other cosmetic or reconstructive procedures. Most plastic surgeons refuse to perform cosmetic surgery on patients who are active smokers or are using nicotine in any form. It is generally recommended that all smoking or the use of any nicotine releasing products should be completely stopped at least 14 days before a Mommy Makeover, and for a minimum of 10-14 days after the surgical procedure. Ideally, one should stop permanently, not just because of its effect on aging, but from an overall health perspective.

Many surgeons suggest stopping for 4 weeks before surgery.

All wound healing depends on blood supply. The blood flow to the skin and underlying tissue is diminished by smoking, which constricts the small blood vessels. Smokers have a significantly higher rate of delayed healing, infection, opening of the incisions, necrosis or loss of the skin that is elevated and the underlying tissue, poor scarring, and anesthesia problems.

Be honest with your plastic surgeon who should be certified by the American Board of American Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) about your exposure to smoke and follow all instructions. Remember that you are a participant in your care.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla,California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Smoking and Cosmetic Surgery

As long as you stop for a full 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after, you should be OK. Smoking truly affects healing and scarring, so keep up the good work and continue to stop smoking.

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Mommy Makeover - Smoking?

Thank you for your question. Smoking in the peri-operative period has been shown, in numerous studies, to result in a higher complication rate. I require my patients to stop smoking at least 4 weeks prior to surgery and not smoke for 4 weeks following the procedure. Please make sure you are cared for by a board certified plastic surgeon and have an honest discussion him or her regarding this. Hope this helps and good luck.