Labioplasty post op. Should I be worried? (Photo)

Thank you to the two doctors that have already responded to my previous post. I apologize for my previous cell phone grammar, and am glad you were able to see through to my concern. The hole I'm concerned about it to the left. I can only see this when I pull myself apart while cleaning. I do appreciate the time will tell advice so far. I've attached a new pic that hopefully shows my concern area better. I can't express enough how grateful I am to receive advice from you all!

Labiaplasty

Thank you for sharing.  It doesn't seem infected and looks like its healing nicely.  You will most likely need a revision.  Please be sure to seek out the opinion of a board certified plastic surgeon  who specializes in Labiaplasty procedures. 

Some holes close, others don't

The hole is another area of separation of your wedge labiaplasty. It's the bottom of the wedge. If the hole has a bottom, it will close from the inside out slowly. If it goes all the way through to the other side, It will shrink to a smaller diameter, but will not close. It's impression that if the separation at the edge separates any further, this hole will become the bottom part of a total wound dehiscence. There is nothing to do at this stage except to keep it clean, wait 6 months, and go for a revision.

Labiaplasty post-op

The good news is the area is clean and doesn't look like an immediate problem (not infected, etc.)  However, this is not going to heal at this point, and once you are far enough out from the time of the initial surgery, a repair procedure is possible, and in experienced hands, your final result can be expected to be quite good.  

Thomas A. Pane, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

What to do about a separation of the outside of a V-Wedge labiaplasty

AAahhh yes, now I see. You've had a separation of the lateral (outer) portion of your V-wedge. How things heal will depend on whether or not the defect goes all way through to the inside, producing a "tunnel" that can only be repaired by a surgeon skilled in revision repair. Hopefully, your surgeon "scaffolded" the repair with 1-2 deep suture layers, in which case your incision will heal from underneath and may end up decently aesthetic, although taking a bit longer. Whatever the situation, you should appreciate final results ~ 2 months post-op. 

Your surgeon, if (s)he was savvy, could have extended the end of the "V" incisin into a "V-Y Wedge, easily encompassing your robust hood folds. If post-op this is not a problen, fine. However, if they "bug" you, see a surgeon well experienced and comfortable in reductive clitoral hood fold surgery.  For now:

1. Keep your hands off it. Do not separate the labia or "get in there" to wash. No need for salves, antibiotics, etc.

2. Just let it heal. Restrict activities that may stress the incision line like yoga, cycling excessive stairs or walking, swimming, squatting, etc.

3. See your surgeon fairly soon to evaluate the wound.

If the opening doesn't communicate with the inside, producing a "tunnel," all should heal well by "secondary intention" (filling in from the inside with the surface slowly coming together) over the course of a month. You will know your final results at ~ 2-3 months post-op. If these results are sub-optimal, the surgeons nearest you that are skilled in hood work & revisions are Drs. John Miklos or Rob Moore in Atlanta, or Dr. Troy Hailparn in San Antonio, TX.

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA

Post-op hole after labiaplasty. Should I be worried?

Dear Shawna,

Thank you for writing in with your question and sharing your photo.  I see the small hole you are referring to on the right near the crease.  The wedge techniques have increased risk for hole formation and edge separations depending primarily on the surgeon's skill but also, patient tissues and following post-op instructions avoiding activities that may pull or stretch the area (like certain yoga positions).  At this point it is best to let the area heal completely and have the hole reassessed by your surgeon at 6 months after surgery.  I also noticed that the skin of the clitoral hood was not reduced (more on the left than the right) and you may want to readdress that at the time of your revision if that is an issue for you.

I hope this information is helpful and best of luck!

Sincerely,

Troy R. Hailparn, MD, FACOG

Cosmetic Gynecology Center of San Antonio

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN

Labiaplasty concern

First of all I think that will improve over time. It does not look like a true "hole" that extends through and through the labia.   It appears that the labial tissue was not resected as it extends up the lateral side of the clitoris.  My recommendation is to allow everything to heal and reevaluate things in six months or more. Nothing to do right now. Best wishes to you!

Erik Miles, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Hole post wedge resection

Shawna

You are welcome...... as for my previous response.  This is a much better pic!  I can not see exactly what you are talking about but  I guess my question is --- Does the hole go all the way through??? If it does then it is unlikely that it will heal without future surgery.  If the hole does not go all the way through it is an aesthetic problem and may close on its own---- but if it doesn't it should be much easier to repair.    As I said before if you get a revision surgery then please choose your surgeon wisely.

John R Miklos MD

Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

Labiaplasty postop. Should I be worried?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and I see your area of concern.  This gap along your wedge resection will improve with time as your body continues to heal from surgery but you will likely be left with some small opening that may require a revision in the future.  At this point I would counsel you to avoid tension/tugging/pulling on your tissues as this may worsen the hole, and instead maintain close follow-up with your surgeon to ensure an otherwise uncomplicated recovery.  Best wishes. 

Labiaplasty: Postoperative Healing

Thank you for your question and photograph.  I believe that I see the area of concern.  If this is correct with a physical examination, then this area may have to be revised.  I recommend contacting your surgeon for evaluation.  If a revision is necessary, then you may want to seek an experienced genital surgeon, especially one who is a reconstructive surgeon even if that requires traveling.  

Best of luck.   

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic and Reconstructive Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist