Excess skin. Which procedure would be best for skin removal? (Photo)

I had gastric bypass surgery in October of 2013 and my stomach area is heavy and hurts.

Body lift candidate

In my experience, you are an ideal candidate for a body lift procedure to adequately address your skin laxity.  Anything less is unlikely to achieve the results you desire and deserve.  If you have held your weight steady for more than six months, you are in the ideal position to arrange a consultation with a fully qualified plastic surgeon to explore your options.

Extended Tummy Tuck

Well done on your weight loss! I'd suggest an extended tummy tuck to rid the excess skin on you abdomen and lift the thighs. This procedure goes beyond your hip bones and wraps around your hips towards your back but doesn't go all the way like a circumferential tummy tuck or full body lift. After that procedure I'd suggest a breast lift. You'll be amazed at the curves you have after under going those two procedures!

Body Contouring after Weight Loss

CONGRATULATIONS on your tremendous weight loss!  That is an incredible accomplishment, and you should be proud.In my practice, I do a lot of body contouring after weight loss.  Your photos are helpful, and you would benefit from a full abdominoplasty or a lower body lift.  The full abdominoplasty would address all the loose skin on the front of your abdomen (I'm not sure you would need a vertical incision at all).  A lower body lift would continue around to the back and would remove loose skin from the lower back, lift the outer thigh, and lift the buttock as well.
I've included a link to some before/after photos that you might find helpful in your search.Best wishes,
Dr. Kavali

Carmen Kavali, MD

Congratulations on having a gastric bypass and your weight loss. Also thank you for your question and photos. The photos are  a little dark, so definition cannot be assess well, but from what I can see, you definitely need a minimal of a full abdominoplasty (tummy tuck). Anything less will be insufficient. And you may benefit from a circumferential, around the body lift as well. Your plastic surgeon will be better able to determine this for you.I recommend a consult a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery for the best result. Good luck with your procedure.

Body lift

Thank you for your question. Dermolipectomy surgery in bariatric patients is normally performed in stages.I would recommend you start with the area you want corrected most. In my experience the abdomen will need a vertical and horizontal incision to remove the excess skin and soft tissue. This will improve your appearance and function in two dimensions. All the best..DR Narsete, Denver plastic surgeon

Excess skin abdominal removal

Thank you for your question. From the limited photographs I would suggest a surgical procedure such a circumferential body lift is best, as it actually cuts away excess skin. No other treatments will really work. Please consult a board certified plastic surgeon. A word of advice: only have the surgery once you have reached your target weight and stayed at that weight for 6 months or so. Good luck.

Best body lift after gastric bypass

Thank you for asking about your body lift.
  • I assume that you have lost a significant amount of weight but that your weight now is stable.
  • If so, based on the photos you are an excellent candidate for a lower body lift.
  • This will remove the excess skin from the front and sides, and continues around the back to give some lift to the thighs as well.
  • Please see a plastic surgeon for a full consultation and enjoy the result!
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Excess skin

Thank you for your question. Based on the limited pictures extended tummy tuck or lower body lift may be the right procedure. Please consult with a board certified PS for evaluation and to discuss your goals.

Excess skin. Which procedure would be best for skin removal?

The procedure to get rid of the excess skin and attached fat is called an extended or circumferential Tummy Tuck. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Tummy tuck

Than you for your question and pictures.  A full tummy tuck or an extended tummy tuck will be the best procedure to remove all of this excess skin and any extra fat.  Be sure to see a Board Certified PS for your consultation to have the best results.

Ramiro Morales, Jr., MD
Pembroke Pines Plastic Surgeon