Must all blepharoplasty procedures be done with laser?

Laser blepharoplasty

The laser offers no advantage. Laser wounds heal slower than traditional incisions. Often laser is used as a marketing tool , with the perception that it is more advanced.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bleph can be done either way

as an oculo-plastic surgeon, I have performed this surgery both ways and they are both effective. I find that the laser can at times induce a bit more swelling because of the laser energy utilized. Both both procedures are excellent with excellent results - Best, Dr Khan

T.G. Khan, DO, FACS
Fort Lee Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty without laser

Some surgeons like to use lasers to assist in the surgery while most surgeons prefer to use scalpels. The norm is to perform blepharoplasty without lasers. Consult in person with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Eyelid surgery with a laser

• Lasers are great tools for different things.  One of their uses is to make surgical incisions.  Some surgeons swear by it, others feel the complete opposite.  You certainly do not need a laser for eyelid surgery!  The scars are usually awesome with eyelid surgery and the quality of your surgeon is more important than the tool (laser vs scalpel) they use to make the incision.
  • Dr Rodger Shortt is a plastic surgeon in Oakville who cares for patients from Oakville, Toronto, Mississauga, Hamilton, Burlington, Georgetown, Milton and the GTA.  He strives to be the best plastic surgeon and is one of the few plastic surgeons in Canada with 5-star ratings on RealSelf, RateMD and Ontario Doctor Review.  He is the director of cosmetic surgery training and an assistant clinical professor at McMaster University.

Rodger Shortt, FRCSC

Blepharoplasty with laser

Most blepharoplasties are not done with a laser.  If some skin removal is needed, surgical removal is the most common treatment.  Wehn only small amounts of skin needs to be removed and there is some creping of the skin or pigmentation, resurfacing of the skin with a laser can be performed.  A board Certified Plastic Surgeon most often can help you with both the surgical and non-surgical treatment options.

Samuel Shatkin, Jr., MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Laser blepharoplasty ... new standard of care?

Thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.

Laser blepharoplasty is only indicated for minimal skin redundancy. Although appealing to do a minimally invasive procedure, there are limitations to the capability of the procedure.

Finally, make sure that you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Wishing you the best in your journey

Blepharoplasty candidate

In our practice we do not use a laser to perform eyelid surgery since it is totally unnecessary.  In addition, it creates a thermal burn to the skin which necessitates leaving sutures in longer.    Choose your Surgeon based on excellent results over many years experience, rather than about laser technique.

Blepharoplasty and laser

It is not mandatory to perform a laser procedure with blepharoplasty. Laser resurfacing of the skin around the eyes is an option, though, if one wants to achieve slightly more skin tightening at the time of blepharoplasty. The type and aggressiveness of the laser needs to be balanced with the approach and aggressiveness of surgery. Be sure to consult with an experienced eyelid surgeon.

Mark Been, MD
Barrington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is a laser necessary?

No blepharoplasty has to be performed with a laser. I personally don't feel the laser helps in any significant way, and I don't recommend them. See an experienced eyelid surgeon (facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon) and make sure are comfortable with them. Whether or not they use a laser is not important.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.

Facial Rejuvenation Specialist

Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Most blepharoplasties are performed without a laser since they have been shown to have no advantage over a scalpel. What is more important the the tool that is used, is the experience and artistry of the plastic surgeon.

I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Facial rejuvenation needs to be individualized. What would be an ideal approach for one patient is not necessarily the same for someone else. Based on the examination and discussion at the consultation, you should have a better understanding of the various options that can achieve the best cosmetic result for you.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon