How can I get rid of gynecomastia?

I am a 25 year old male, 6 feet 2 inches and weight 180 lbs.

Doctor Answers 8

Liposuction and Gland Excision

Hi. It is a very common problem. You will benefit from Liposuction and/or gland excision procedures. Please send us your photos for an accurate diagnosis. 

India Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 54 reviews

Options for gynecomastia

 It's best to have a physician consultation to rule out if there are any medical causes for your gynecomastia. It also would be prudent to distinguish whether it is a result of excess weight that could possibly respond to diet and exercise, or  another form of gynecomastia. If you are considering surgery during your consultation your doctor will discuss the options with you. 

Jed H. Horowitz, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 110 reviews

You have to make sure to pick the right surgeon

How should I choose a surgeon? Choose carefully. The decision is yours. Advice to assist in making your selection.Only a board certified plastic surgeon 1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience. 2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures, the better. Pay attention whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient. 3.Only gynecomastia Reviews matter. 4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery? Be realistic about your expectations. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.So be extremely careful choosing the right Plastic Surgeon at the beginning.

Mordcai Blau, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 76 reviews


Thank you for your question.  Gynecomastia surgery can be performed with liposuction as well as removal of the gland.  This is performed through an incision at the areola.  I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon for an evaluation to determine the best treatment option to achieve your goals.  Best of luck to you!

Chad Robbins, MD
Nashville Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 50 reviews

Ending Gynecomastia

First the determination of whether the fullness is fat or glans,   If fat or mostly  fat liposuction works very well. I prefer Vaser liposuction but all the systems work and have the same result.     Once the liposuction is complete the surgeon must carefully check for excess gland.   There is always a little gland and this must be left intact to avoid a caved in nipple appearance.    Excess gland is removed and a pleasing contour is the end result.   My Best ,Dr Commons

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 36 reviews

Gynecomastia; a common problem

The treatment options for gynecomastia are liposuction or surgical excision of the breast tissue.  Liposuction involves the use of both laser energy as well as a power-assisted liposuction machine with one small 4 mm incision on each side of the chest.  Surgical excision involves an incision around the areola with excision of the central breast mound.    The most important determining factor for treatment of gynecomastia is the presence or absence of a central breast mound.  In most cases of gynecomastia, the diagnosis is actually excess adipose tissue of the chest wall with no appreciable breast tissue.  This is amenable to liposuction with excellent results.  In some cases, breast tissue, which is firm, is located behind the nipple and can be sizable.  This will require a surgical excision.

Robert J .Paresi Jr., MD, MPH
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 16 reviews

How can I get rid of gynecomastia?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Accurate diagnosis would necessitate physical examination. It IS important to differentiate gynecomastia ( excess breast tissue) from lipomastia ( otherwise known as pseudo-gynecomastia or excess adipose tissue of chest wall). Treatment will differ depending on diagnosis.

Having said that, in most cases, gynecomastia is treated with resection of the excess breast tissue; peripheral chest liposuction may also be helpful.
My best suggestion: get into the "shape" you want to be physically. Then if your chest wall is still of concern, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with.
You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best

Tom J. Pousti, MD, FACS
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1,499 reviews


I appreciate your concern, but physical exam would be helpful. However, your photo demonstrates possibly mild Gynecomastia which is usually treated by liposuction alone. The scars are small and well hidden. Insurance may or may not cover it, depends on your policy. Check out the link below to an article I wrote about Gynecomastia, as you may find it helpful. Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area, good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 31 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.