Which is better, botox or phosphatidyl choline for contouring jawline and double chin?

I am 27 year old. The doc told me if i do the phosphatidyl choline it will last for ever but i should be carful about my waight. I have concern about getting waight will afact my fave shape and i can not get ride of. I do not have any idea about botox i want to do it becouse it last for 6 to 9 months and i do not need to worry about my face in the future. Which one i should do

Both are almost worthless. Tumescent lipo under local is the best !

I would not waste money on either for neck/jawline contouring. Liposuction under local is so safe and gives dramatic results with only 1 day downtime. You can drive yourself home and rarely need any pain meds other than  Tylenol. Also lipo is cheaper in the long run.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Double Chin Treatment / Laxity-- SmartLipo/VASER/ThermiRF, Botox, Venus Legacy, Kybella, CoolMini

I find that VASER hi def contouring is much better for double chin and jawline than anything.  however, kybella, thermirf can give improvement.  I suggest seeing an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Treating Excess Neck Fat

Phosphatidyl choline, or Kybella, is a treatment for excess fat, specifically that under the chin. It does get rid of the fat permanently. Botox or its relatives cannot treat this. It is a neurotoxin, causing the muscle into which it is injected to stop functioning for 3-7 months. It can, therefore, treat contracting muscle bands in the neck if this is what is causing the problem. The 2 products can be combined if you have both problems but cannot be substituted for one another. If the person you saw is an expert in trading the area and you discussed what bothered you, then you need to trust their judgement or see another expert. 

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Nefertiti Lift & Hypertrophic Masseter Muscle Treatment With Botox For Jawline Contouring; Kybella For Double Chins

Without a photo, I can only discuss this problem in the most general of terms.

Botox and its relatives Dysport and Xeomin have been used successfully for years for treating the ropey cords and shaping the jawline via an advanced injection technique known as the Nefertiti Lift, in honor of the ideal, chiseled profile of the famed Egyptian Queen Nefertiti. Injected into certain locations of the platysma muscle that stretches from the chest through the neck to the jawline, the muscle relaxing effect of the Botox conveys competitive advantage to the facial muscles above, allowing them to pull the skin upwards--tightening and contouring the skin below.

If the masseter muscle (the bite muscle) is overly thickened (hypertrophic), as is frequently seen in persons of Asian extraction, the Botox may be used to soften the projection of the lower portion of the muscle, near the jawline, in order to better contour and streamline its appearance.

If a double chin is the problem, the use of desoxycholate (not phosphatidyl choline) in the form of the recently approved product Kybella may be used to shrink the fat and promote better contour. Phosphatidyl choline has not been found, as previously believed, to be particularly useful.

You would do well to consult with a board certified aesthetic physician with expertise and training in advanced nonsurgical facial shaping with injectable agents.

Best of luck to you.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Contouring Jawline and Double Chin

Botox will not contour the jaw line or treat the double chin.  Kybella, however, will be most effective in reducing the double chin and contour the jawline.  Coolsculpting with the new piece called the cool-mini is also effective at reducing the double chin.  Please contact an expert for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Facial fat treatment

We have no idea what your cosmetic goals are and you've posted no photo for us to evaluate your areas of concern but nothing is "forever". Phosphatidyl choline is an old therapy called "mesotherapy" which was recently approved for under the chin or double chip treatment of excess fat under the brand name Kybella. It is painful, needs many injections each session and many sessions with unpredictable outcome. Botox lasts 3-4 months, not 6-9 months and it is used to paralyze or weaken muscle to affect texture and contour. It has nothing to do with treating a double chin. Please consult with an experienced board certifies dermatologist, facial plastic or general plastic surgeon.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon

Improving Jawline and Double Chin

Thank you for your question staywithme2. It sounds like you are trying to improve your jaw and neckline, for which Botox is not really used. There are other options for improving excess submental adipose tissue - which at 27 you would be a candidate. These include the surgical (liposuction) as well as non-surgical (Kybella). Most patients who come to me for Kybella may have prominent jowls, for which I tend to recommend liposuction. Pictures would be helpful as well as seeing a board certified surgeon to discuss these options. Good luck!

Botox or phosphatidyl choline for double chin

Thank you for asking about your double chin.

• Phosphatidyl choline dissolves fat - and is currently FDA approved only as Kybella.
  • It will reduce the fat under the chin - but requires 3 - 6 treatments.
  • Botox will not improve fat under the chin but can improve chin position by relaxing muscles.
  • Botox on average will last 3 months, although in some people it lasts up to a year.
  • If the problem is fat - then have the treatment focussed on fat.
  • If the problem is muscle - then have Botox.
  • If your surgeon isn't sure, then consider a second opinion.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes

Botox and Kybella for contouring the jawline

Botox and Kybella can both improve contour around the jawline; however, these work in very different ways.  Botox works by decreasing the muscle tone of the platysma muscle and facial depressors creating a slight elevation to the jawline that is temporary.  Though repeated injections can create longer lasting results, with cessation, results will stop as well.  Kybella works through fat cell destruction.  The resulting inflammation creates a tightening effect through collagen replacement of the lost volume leading to better contour under the chin.  These results tend to be long lasting.  Generally, neither of these treatments will be effected by small weight gains.  Larger weight gains or quick weight loss can effect this area.  Over time as we age, laxity of the neck will increase; prevention with good topical therapies and non-invasive tightening devices can reduce these effects.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon