If I have chin liposuction now, will it impact good results from a facelift/neck lift, if desired, in a few years?

I'm almost 63 and I've lost 30 lbs. in the last few years. My "turkey neck" is horrible. I have consulted with several board certified plastic surgeons and received recommendations from chin liposuction, to Kybella, to a "mini" or "S" lift, to a full facelift. Because of concerns about anesthesia, downtime, and costs, I am thinking of having an in-office chin liposuction followed with Reaction Viora treatment. Am I making a mistake that will impact future surgeries?

Comprehensive face and neck lift at 63 with significant weight loss

At age 63 with a significant weight loss most of the turkey neck that is present is most likely excess skin which will need to be removed with a lower face and neck lift. Performing liposuction or any fat removal will only worsen the excess skin condition. A mini lift will give mini results.
 In our practice, a  lower face and neck lift accomplishes tightening loose facial and neck skin, lifting the SMAS and the jowls, removing fatty deposits in the neck, and tightening loose facial and neck muscles. We perform the face and neck lift under general anesthesia in a certified and licensed outpatient surgery center. Surgery should not be performed in an office, since it is an invasive surgical procedure. For many examples, our current price list and more information, please see the link and the video below

Neck rejuvination

Thank you for your question.  Neck and chin rejuvenation comes in many forms as you know.  Matching the correct procedure to each patient is very important.  The neck is one of the few areas that can respond well to liposuction alone when there is existing skin laxity or 'sagging'.  Mini open necklift techniques with wide dissection and liposuction can aid in re-contouring the neck.  This will not help correct significant facial jowls though.  Trying to get it right the first time is always best.  However secondary surgery is still possible.  Make sure you pick the doctor that will help you achieve your goals.  A board certified plastics surgeon will have all the tools from minimally invasive to surgery.  Best of luck with your upcoming neck rejuvenation.  

Jacob Bloom, MD

Chin Liposuction

Thanks for your inquiry.With regard to your results, it is important to be realistic in your expectations.It sounds like you do have a lot of skin excess in the chin area and liposuction in this area is not going to address this as it will only remove any excess fat in the area.That’s not to say that chin liposuction will not improve the area, but it will not produce optimal results at this point.I would suggest discussing the potential results with your surgeon and making sure you are both on the same page as to your expected results.You can, of course, come back later for more surgery to correct this.So, the question is do you want to do the liposuction now or just wait to do the right operation when you are ready?I hope this is helpful.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Almost 63 and I've lost 30 lbs. in the last few years. My "turkey neck" is horrible.

Hi, I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts on women in their late twenties and early thirties. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front. Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

If the chin is weak, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin. Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.

If you have "jowls” these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift. The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last). The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure. When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face. Liposuction below the chin, by itself, would only increase the amount of skin laxity.

Hope this helps.

Surgical versus non-surgical facial rejuvenation

It's hard to say without a photo or seeing you, but for significant neck skin I usually caution my patients on non-surgical procedures.  They're not a facelift or neck lift.  However, I do facelifts very frequently with minimal downtime and discomfort and they can last 5-10 years!

Thank you for your question!

Dr. Schreiber, Baltimore plastic surgeon

Chin lipo and secondary surgery

Hi Shmooky1 (great profile name!), and thanks for your question.  The simple answer is that you can still have a face or neck lift in the future after undergoing liposuction.  As you have discovered, there are a number of options available to contour the neck.  The decision is complex and a patient's choice may be influenced by anesthetic concerns, recovery time, and expense.  From the physician's perspective, recommendations are influenced by an assessment of overall health, a discussion of a patients goals, and a careful exam identifying the anatomy to be addressed.  Treatment recommendations may vary depending on whether the issue is skin, adipose tissue, laxity and dehiscence of muscle, or some combination.  Best of luck as you consider the best course.  

Larry Lickstein, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon