Should I get breast implants as well as a breast lift? (Photos)

I'm 25 and I've always had saggy breasts. I'm currently a 34 D and I really want perkier breasts but not necessarily bigger breasts either. If I get implants along with a lift will that last longer than just an ordinary lift and how will I know what size to get? I'm concerned that the lift won't last very long if I intend to have children within the next 7 years or so. With implants will they last even after having children?

Should I get breast implants as well as a breast lift?

If you are happy with the size of your breasts, a lift may be all you need. If you want a bigger size, then small implants may be appropriate. See link below for examples. 

You have a large amount of breast tissue for you body frame

I would recommend a breast lift with a vertical incision and a small amount of reduction.

This will reduce the weight of your breast and reduce the amount of long term  sagging.

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast lifts may or may not require breast implants

It appears as though you'll get very nice results just from a lift.  The breast tissue is usually pulled up in to the topmost portions of the breast during the lift giving the look of implants without actually using them.  However, if you want a lot more cleave or fullness at the top then you may want to consider a small implant.

Thank you for your question!  Dr. Schreiber, Baltimore plastic surgeon

Lift or lift with implants?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift with augmentation such as silicone implants, you will get very nice results.

Patients who goes to a consultation for drooping breasts (ptosis) or volume loss after pregnancy (pseudoptosis) almost always have one very important question. "Can my drooping be corrected with just implants or do I need a lift".

Implants alone will correct drooping when:

1. Breast drooping is mild
  2. The nipple is still near the center breast and does not point downward
  3. There is some visible skin beneath the nipple/areola when looking at the breasts straight on.
  4. The patient is okay with being at least a cup size larger

A breast lift (with or without an implant) is better when:

1. Breast drooping is moderate or severe
  2. The nipple is at the bottom of the breast or points downward
  3. There is no visible skin under the nipple/areola when looking at the breasts straight on.
  4. The patient is already a C or D cup breast size and doesn't want to be larger
  5. The areola is too large and the patient wants it reduced

I also show the patient photographs of a spectrum of breast scar present after a breast lift in order to check their tolerance for this scar. Most patients are surprised how little the scar shows and are okay with proceeding. If the patient really needs a breast lift, but is concerned about the scars, I will suggest they wait on surgery. In time the breast appearance problems will usually outweigh their concern about the scars.

I use implants in combination with a lift when:

1. The patient wants to be larger in addition to being less droopy
  2. The patient desires to maintain projection and roundness of the breast mound
  3. The drooping is severe..... I recommend to see a board certified plastic surgeon for a personal evaluation and also to talk about your goals.

I recommend to make an appointment with a board certified surgeon for an evaluation and to talk abuot what kind of lift do you need and to talk about your goals.

Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Breast lift

From your photos, you seem to have a fair amount of breast tissue already. You should be able to get a very nice result with just a breast lift. If you'd like to increase your breast size you could do so easily at the same time with an implant. Be sure to express your goals and expectations with your chosen surgeon. Good luck! 

Dean Vistnes, M.D. Vistnes Plastic Surgery San Francisco Bay Area

#drdeanvistnes #realself #breastlift

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants as well as a lift?

I can say based on your photos and concerns that the best and longest lasting procedure would be sub-muscular placement of implants with a vertical lift. The vertical lift addresses several of the specific issues you mentioned.  It is the most effective and longest lasting type of lift, since the lowest sagging breast tissue is removed and there is less scar than the traditional anchor breast lift.  Further with your concerns about going too large there is considerable benefit to removing some breast tissue volume.  This will counter the enlargement from your breast implants.  You will feel less likely that you went too large and still get the benefits of the fullness above with breast implants.  Having stated all the advantages of a vertical breast lift we still have to address the important issue of future pregnancies.  A vertical breast lift, like most breast lifts, can interfere with breast feeding and so there may be reason to postpone this part of the procedure.  Of course the most reliable information would follow an in person formal consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. 

Thomas Hubbard, MD, FACS
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Your question is commonly asked and ultimately it is a decision that has to be made by the patient herself after discussion of options with her plastic surgeon.  Tightening and lifting your breasts and breast skin will give you an immediately improved result but with poor skin elasticity you must expect some droopiness to return and some emptiness in your upper chest.  This is the reason that many patients select placement of a small to modest sized breast implant at the time of their surgery. Be aware of the fact however that this may make it slightly less likely that pregnancy would adversely affect your breast shape but not significantly so.  We have all seen patients whose breast glands seems to slide down off of the implant with time requiring a revision of the uplift.  This of course occurs with weight changes or especially following a pregnancy.

My vote would be to suggest that you consider a small breast implant but you need to discuss your options with your surgeon before deciding.  Good luck and best wishes.  Look forward to a significant change and improvement in your breast position and contour after a breast lift alone or breast lift with implants.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Breast lift

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a breast lift or a breast lift with implants.  If you are satisfied with your volume, then a breast lift alone can give you a very nice shape and contour, if god technique is used.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Lift +/- implants

It is up to you to decide if you want implants as well as a lift. If you are happy with your overall volume, then you do not need implants.

To Aug Or Not To Aug

For patients, like yourself, that are comfortable with the volume they have, a breast lift (mastopexy) is powerful procedure that can lift the nipple, remove excess skin, and reshape the breasts to sit higher on the chest in a more youthful position.

A lift can, however, make the breasts appear smaller as the breast tissue is compacted by the lifting and tightening surgery. Most patients, therefore, will opt for the addition of, a small implant to their lift (mastopexy augmentation) to maintain the fullness they desire. The decision on size, shape, and position of these implants is based on the patient’s anatomy and the type and size of the implant and patients preferences.

Unfortunately, both procedures have the potential to interfere with breast feeding. The usual recommendation is to wait until you are done having children before moving forward with surgery. It is, however, a highly personal choice. 

Finally, all breasts change over time, with or without kids. Many patients, therefore, will opt for further surgery at around 10 years to regain the youthful appearance of the breasts.

A detailed examination will help delineate the best surgical treatment. In office sizing and digital three-dimensional simulations can help guide your implant choices. Consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery would be the next best step.