How long do you normally have to keep your implant out when you get an infection?

I got my boobs redone with a lift and went bigger in june of 2016 i caught affection 2 weeks later had to get my right boob removed august 10th. How long does implants have to be removed when u catch affection? Cause my doctor told me i had to be without my implant for 3 months but since he went to private practice a new doctor at the same clinic telling me i have to wait 6 months im really confused that's why i need answers.

I am sorry to hear about the complication you have experienced; your disappointment/frustration is certainly understandable. You will find that there are very few "absolutes" in the field of plastic surgery. In other words, practices will vary from one plastic surgeon to another. Having said that, I think the most plastic surgeons would wait somewhere between six months to one year before re augmentation.

Personally, I think that the management of breast implant exposure situation needs to be individualized. In most cases, patients are best served by removing the breast implant involved, with the goal of breast re augmentation many months subsequently. Ultimately, timing of the re operation is best individualized depending on the clinical/microbiology findings.

Factors that I use when deciding when to return to the operating room include:  the nature of the infection present initially ( superficial versus deep, microbiology results…),  how well and/or quickly the patient's tissues "heal" after removal of breast implants,  the patient's physical examination with emphasis on softness/pliability of the patient's tissues…  Generally, if in doubt, best to undergo breast re augmentation later rather than too soon. 

Keep in mind, what I have described is based on my personal experience/opinions.  your plastic surgeon, having the benefit of knowing your history and  current situation, will always be your best resource.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with longer-term.