Laser Treatment for Spider Veins

I want laser treatment for my small area of spider veins because I am afraid of needles. But the more I research, the more confused and concerned I am about the side effects - especially discoloration and blistering. I seem to be getting a lot of conflicting information. I just need a good doctor I can rely on - is a dermatologist best or a vein specialist? What is the best way to check out the competency of the doctor? Also, what is the best type of laser to use?

Afraid of needles

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Sclerotherapy is a non-surgical procedure used to remove varicose veins involving a chemical being injected into the troublesome veins. This chemical causes the veins to collapse and disappear. Traditional sclerotherapy is most effective on spider veins and small varicose veins.

People suffering from a fear of needles are probably already shaking their heads in disapproval, but we can guarantee that there is no cause for alarm. The needles we use for sclerotherapy are very fine, only a bit larger than acupuncture needles and a lot smaller than standard vaccination needles.

As sclerotherapy needles are smaller, the initial pain of breaking the skin is greatly reduced. However, some areas on your legs might be slightly more sensitive, such as the areas behind the knee and around your feet. In this case we use the finest needles at our disposal to reduce the chance of our patients experiencing pain.

A vein specialist would offer the best treatments. 

IPL for the face 1064 ND:YAG for the legs

The best results I have seen for the facila blood vessels are with the IPL (intense pulse light). May take a few treatments for difficulte small vessels. For the legs 1064 ND:YAG works best up to vessels of 3-4 mm diameter, Those as well may take a few treatments!

Both the laser and injections may have complications such as discoloration, sweeling, pain etc.

Find an experience doctor that has pictures or has been refered by some one that has had the treatments before!!!

Good Luck!

Laser treatment of spider veins

Laser treatment for spider veins of the leg is effective for blood vessels up to 1.5mm in size. Anything bigger requires surgical treatment or sclerotherapy (injection with needles). Spider veins of the face in general are treated with laser treatment almost exclusively. The best treatment for blood vessels on the legs is 1064 ND:YAG long pulsed laser and for the face it could be the same or intense pulsed light or pulsed dye laser for the face. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon