Can Laser Resurfacing Remove Acne Scars and Dark Marks?

I am 23 years old and suffered with bad acne in my teen years. So far, I don't have anymore acne, I am now left with dark marks, a few blackheads, open pores and oily skin. Can laser help minimize my pores size, remove the black heads and dark marks, and help with the oily skin?

Halo Hybrid Laser Is an Ideal Option

Thanks for your question. Laser resurfacing can definitely help you accomplish your goals, as it's designed to improve both skin tone and texture. The first thing to remember is that a laser treatment is only as effective as the person performing the procedure, so make sure you choose a specialist experienced in laser treatments. I prefer to use the Halo hybrid fractional laser for treating acne scars and discoloration. Halo is a breakthrough laser treatment that offers both ablative and non-ablative wavelengths, meaning it can be customized with precision to treat specific conditions. It gets great results without significant downtime normally associated with ablative laser skin resurfacing. Best of luck to you.

Burlington Plastic Surgeon

Yes, Laser Resurfacing can Improve Acne marks and Dark (Pigmented) marks

Dear WannaNewBooty,

All your concerns can be addressed with a combination of laser resurfacing, possibly other laser technology other than resurfacing, and skincare with the proper active ingredients. The recommendation as far as what is the best treatment plan for you should come from a dermatologist specializing in laser treatments. A skilled, experienced expert should have a good range of laser systems so that she/he could choose the one(s) best suited to help you achieve your goal of improving your skin texture, evening out your skin tone and controlling oil production. Best of luck!

Manish Khanna, MD, FRCP(C)
Montreal Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser Resurfacing for Acne Scars and Dark Marks

An appropriate laser such as the Sciton erbium laser typically can address the following conditions wrinkles, epidermal nevi, acne scars, solar lentigines, actinic keratosis, hypertrophic scars, and surgical scars. It can also be utilized to address enlarged pores and areas of discoloration, while simultaneously promoting collagen growth. More than the laser, you should focus on choosing a reputable, experienced, and expert practitioner who can utilize the correct modality or combination of treatments to address your needs/objectives.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Laser Resurfacing for Acne Scarring

Laser skin resurfacing uses laser light to target the superficial and deep layers of the skin to improve the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, scars, enlarged pores, and areas of discoloration, while simultaneously promoting collagen growth to tighten the skin. I would suggest the Sciton Erbium:Yag laser, which is used in the operating room under anesthesia as it treats the deepest layers of skin. This laser can produce outstanding results for acne scarring, enlarged pores, and irregular skin pigmentation. A thorough consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is necessary to decide what laser skin resurfacing treatment plan is most suited to address your needs.

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Fraxel Dual for Acne Scars

Yes Fraxel Dual can help treat acne scars by fostering the development of normal collagen which would gradually override the thick collagen of the scar tissue.  This laser can also treat pigmentation issues as well. 

Since blackheads are basically a type of blockage in the pores that are caused by overactive oil glands, I would recommend the Spectra laser which removes pore blocks and decreases the activity level of these glands. I've provided a link with more details on this laser. 

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Lasers can help with post acne inflammatory hyperpigmentation and scars

Fraxel Dual can help with both the pigment and scarring but with any laser, there is a risk of post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Multiple treatments would be needed usually for scar improvement. Other devices including the Syneron E2, Vbeam, IPL, Portrait plasma may help. Blackheads, or open comedones, do not require laser for treatment but if you are having laser for the other conditions, there may or may not be improvement, long term, with new blackhead formation. Pore size is not guaranteed to change and in rare cases could look more noticable after some laser resurfacing.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser works well for acne scars

I like to use a combination of IPL for the pigmentation and the Erbium YAG laser for the acne scars. Unlike resurfacing or using the laser for wrinkles, it is important to use a much deeper setting to improve scarring. For this reason, you should expect around 10 days of scabbing and scaling but after that period, the results are phenomenal and continue to improve over the next 6 weeks. Most people require more than one treatment and some up to 6 treatments.

Acne scars and resurfacing

Acne scars can be improved with laser resurfacing but I would suggest a number of things prior to laser resurfacing for the scars. The indented scars can be improved through either subcision, deep chemical peeling, fat grafting with subcision and excisional (cutting) techinques. There is a unique process that I use for this. Laser resurfacing will be the finishing touch on all of it. For the active acne, I would use salicylic acid cleansers, retin A, 15% alpha beta acid lotions, or series of chemical peels to keep it maintained. I would use oral antibiotics for breakouts and topical anitbiotics for small breakouts.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can Laser Resurfacing remove Acne scars and dark marks

For many years, until the 1980-s, Traditional Dermabrasion (wire brush, etc) was used to treat acne scars and was very effective, but quite traumatic.

With the advent of the Traditional Laser Resurfacing technique, Dermabrasion has almost been abandoned.

Traditional Laser Resurfacing is still used by Dermatologists and Plastic Surgeons and, depending on the depth of the scars, one or two treatments can be very effective, However, some deep boxcar scars will not respond and have to be teated by punch elevation. Also,  rolling scars are best treated by subcision. Deep Ice Pick scars respond very well to CROS (Chemical Reduction Of  Scars).

For the past  8 years or so, Fractional Laser Resurfacing has become very popular, because it is less traumatic to the patient and requires less downtime. Several treatments are necessary to get close to 80% improvement, if combined with Subcision and CROS.

Make sure you are being treated by an experienced, Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon.

For more details, you may visit my website.

Eugene Mandrea, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Laser resurfacing for Acne

Laser resurfacing only helps smooth the very top skin lasers.  Most visible acne scars are deeper and thus laser resurfacing alone is not the answer.  I hope this is not taken maliciously, but if you notice, only the dermatologists who answered your question believe that laser resurfacing for Acne scars is worthwhile.  That is because they are taught to think from the skin surface.  You can read more about my FaSuLa concept for acne scars on my website, but I believe each scar must be properly analyzed for color, width, depth of skin involvement, type of surrounding skin, pore size, and many other factors in order to decide how to maximize the benefit you will receive from any procedure.  Often a series of treatments are needed, each targeting a specific aspect of the scar.  And by the way, to my knowledge no treatment, including laser skin resurfacing, has ever been conclusively proven in a peer-reviewed scientific study to reduce pore size or decrease oil production.

Yoash R. Enzer, MD

Yoash R. Enzer, MD, FACS
Providence Oculoplastic Surgeon