Is Laser Mole Removal Safe After Biopsy Has Shown It to Be Benign?

Is it possible for a mole to become malignant years after the biopsy has shown it to be benign? Is it safe to remove it after biopsy has confirmed it to be benign?

Mole Removal with Lasers

I am not certain why you would want or a doctor would be recommending mole removal with a laser.  Moles most certainly need to be biopsied and only red or brown spots (sun spots) treated with the laser.  I would please only go to a board certified dermatologist with a lot of experience in both medical and cosmetic dermatology.

Laser mole removal is never appropriate

A biopsy of a mole is only a momentary "snap shot" in time. The remaining portion of the mole, although unlikely, can still become cancerous at any time. Lasers are therefore never indicated for mole removal, even after the biopsy. Using a laser to improve the appearance of a mole will alter its look and make it more difficult to observe for precancerous changes in the future. Why not have the mole fully surgically removed from the beginning as part of the "biopsy" so that two procedures are not necessary?

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon