Why Do Some Laser Hair Removal Machines Require Visible Hair Growth?

I had my first laser hair removal treatment today. They used a machine that I can't find any information on. It was called cheauvx. It was pain free. I was told I need hair growth that could be seen and felt for the machine to work. She told me this machine was different than other machines. I am worried I will not get any results from this. Has anyone even heard of this machine? How does it work?

Hair Removal Needs Vary

Thank you for your question. You should see a Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic surgeon for your hair removal needs.  Obscure laser companies are not the best place to start hair removal. Their results may not be effective or safe.   I hope this helps.

Laser hair requires the hair root be present

I generally tell patients to shave a day or two before laser hair removal.  It is best if you can visualize the hair root to zap it.  I never heard of the laser that you mentioned.  You should not wax or pluck in between treatments so that you don't pull out the root.  Let me know how your treatment goes.

Laser hair removal needs hair to work

I am not familiar with cheauvx.  However, all laser or light sources to remove hair need the hair there to work.  This is because the laser energy is absorbed by the pigment in the hair, so if there is no hair, there is no reason to do a treatment.  I usually recommend shaving a day or two before to minimize the energy being absorbed on the surface, I like the energy to go deep to the root of the hair. 

Rebecca Baxt, MD
Paramus Dermatologic Surgeon