Accutane During Laser Hair Removal Treatments?

I started my laser hair removal treatments 2 years ago, and last month, I started taking accutane (this is my 2nd month). Can I continue my laser hair removal treatments for facial hair?

Accutane and Laser Hair Removal

We do not recommend any laser treatments while you’re on Accutane and we actually like to wait a full 6 months after your completed. Accutane makes you extremely sun sensitive and of course laser is a form of light. It’s better to be safe and just wait the suggested time.

Accutane and Laser Hair Removal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Laser hair removal while on accutane

The recommendation is that you wait at least 6 months after discontinuation of accutane to resume laser hair treatments, otherwise you'll have a higher risk of scarring. The risks are also dependent on the individual's tendency to scar, but that is a factor we really cannot control. I would discuss this matter with the practitioner to help you weigh the risks and benefits.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Laser hair removal while on accutane

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist