Was wondering if I will need a lift? I've been to one consult and doctor recommended 500 cc & no lift. I'm 5'2" 135 lbs (Photo)

Was wondering if I will need a lift? I've been to one consult and doctor recommended 500 cc silicone & no lift . I'm 5' 2" 135 lbs. is that too big for my body frame? I want them to completely fill out my breasts. I'm just worried my nipples won't be centered. I'm ok with them not being 100% centered in the middle but I do not want them to point downwards once I've gotten implants. Opinions please?

Breast Implant and Lift

The surgery and size of implant that you choose depends on your goals.  Implants should be selected based on the anatomy that is present.  If your breast base width is greater than 13cm then a 500 cc implant would fill the breast and give it a relatively augmented look.  It appears that you have between a grade I and Grade II ptosis.  A 500cc implant with a dual plane approach will certainly lift the breast and help to make it look rejuvenated.  Over time all breasts will sag and you will likely need a lift.   If you think you want a smaller implant, perhaps in the 300cc range, then you will most lilkely need a lift to accompany the implant for appropriate breast rejuvenation.  Mastopexy aka breast lift can be performed with a variety of different incisions, but it does require additional scar.  So its a trade off.  Bigger implants, with faster dropping, vs smaller implants with more scar.  It can be a difficult decision, so its best to discuss this in person and seek a second opinion.  Good Luck. 

Breast lift and implant considerations

An in-person consultation is required to answer this question - in general, a breast lift will improve the results of an augmentation when done on patients with your type of breast anatomy.

Big Implants Won't Center Your Nipples

Unfortunately, many women with breast ptosis or sagging undergo breast augmentation with large implants expecting to look 'perky', frequently because they were told by their surgeon that would suffice.  This is a mistake, because no matter the size of the implant, the nipple and breast tissue won't magically rotate up into a pleasing position on the mound, but instead will remain low under the implant. Large implants frequently leave women larger than they wanted to be as well. Additionally, with time these large implants drift downward as the breast tissue expands.

You should visit a few surgeons that are expert in all forms of cosmetic breast surgery, not just implants. Discuss your goals by reviewing photos together. Avoid talking about cup sizes.  In the end you will be happier.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Been to one consult and doctor recommended 500 cc & no lift. I'm 5'2" 135 lbs

You will need an one on one examination.  Size and shape of breasts can often play a critical role in a woman’s self-esteem. Fuller and bigger breasts are often associated with reproducibility therefore it is a desired condition. There are different kinds of breast augmentation operation types. Breast augmentation can be performed either with breast implants or autologous fat transfer. There are also different types of breast implants like teardrop or round implants. These implants also can be placed under or above the muscle. As you can imagine there are several different options for breast augmentation. The best way to understand which one is more suitable for you is to get a physical examination by a plastic surgeon.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Do I need a lift?

Hello Alexxx12. In my office, patients with similar findings will be recommended a breast lift and implants combination. Implants only will lead to "low big" breasts. Best, Dr. ALDO.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Was wondering if I will need a lift? I've been to one consult and doctor recommended 500 cc & no lift. I'm 5'2" 135 lbs

Thank you for the question and pictures. Online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical. Keep in mind, that breast augmentation surgery does not provide a true "lift"; make sure that your goals will be realistically achieved with the planned procedure. Best to discuss your goals, expectations, concerns, and questions directly with your plastic surgeon, preferably prior to the day of surgery.
Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.
I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

To lift or not

A short term solution to your problem would be to place the implants above your muscle. However, in the long term this may not be your best option. I would recommend placing the implants behind the muscle in a dual plane approach (half above and half below). I would be happy to see you in my Henderson office for a consultation.

Arthur M. Cambeiro, MD

Breast Lift and Implants

Better photos are needed, but I do not think your result with implants alone will be a cosmetic pleasing result.  Also, measurements and an in person evaluation are needed to determine implant size.  Do not expect a perky look wth implants alone.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Lift or no lift ?

The definitive answer here is a resounding: maybe !  IN person exams are paramount to aid in making these types of decisions.  Unfortunately the photo you submit, although very artistic, is not helpful in making any recommendations here.

You need an in person evaluation from an experienced board certified plastic surgeon to provide you with options and recommendations for you specifically.  Best of luck

Ronald A. Lohner, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Will I need a lift?

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photo I would say you most likely need a lift along with an augmentation to get the desired look that you want.  Having said that you should have an in person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in order to discuss your options and get answers to all of your questions.

Dr. Peter Newen

Peter Newen, MD