I'm 6 weeks post op, I notice my breasts are different; is this normal & would it get better? (Photo)

Breast asymmetry

Everyone has some asymmetry.  It is better to show other photos to get a better appreciation.  Best of luck.

You’re not seeing your final result quite yet.

Thank you for your question and photo. It’s understandable to be anxious to get the recovery process behind you and enjoy your new breasts. However, you still haven’t fully healed at only 6 weeks post-op. After augmentation, it takes time for the surrounding skin and tissue to stretch and accept the implant. You’ve heard of waiting for implants to “drop,” and this is what will continue to happen as time goes on. As far as asymmetry, it’s difficult to say without having seen your pre-op photos. No two breasts are exactly identical, whether they’ve been augmented or not. You’re likely still experiencing swelling, but this will dissipate in the coming weeks and may improve the symmetry.

Lee B. Daniel, MD
Eugene Plastic Surgeon

Breast are different after Breast Augmentation, Normal or not?

Hi Christy,Thanks for your question and photo. It would be best to post more views than just one because it is hard to give you a good opinion. It certainly is within the range of normal to still be off a bit after only six weeks. The breast settle and adjust differently on everyone but usually some reasonable results at 3 months is pretty common. I would see what your plastic surgeon has to say about how your breast are progressing. They may need to settle more but not sure based on the one photo. Be patient. Good Luck! 

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS

#breastasymmetries #breastaugmentation

Breast augmentation - my breasts look different

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.
  • Even at six weeks after surgery, your breasts are still swollen and haven't finished settling in place.
  • Chances are everything will work out fine.
  • If you have't seen your surgeon for a six week check, return to the office for a check and photos.
  • That way, if you have questions six months from now, you have a photo for comparison.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

I'm 6 weeks post op, I notice my breasts are different; is this normal & would it get better?

Thank you for your question and photo.  You can have some asymmetry this soon after breast augmentation. However,  your tissue and implants will continue to settle and change in the next several months.  Wait several months to determine if there is any asymmetry.  Be sure to check with your surgeon and discuss your concerns.

Jeanette Padgett, MD, FACS
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question. Right now, you are  early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Please Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you at this time. Then reassess final result at 6 months. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Asymmetry

Yes, it can be normal to have some asymmetry while healing and see that even out by roughly 6 months post op. Keep in mind that asymmetries in volume and shape which existed pre operatively will likely still be visible afterwards. If you note sudden, concerning changes let your Plastic Surgeon know.
All the best

Does this look normal?

Hello and thank you for the question. Yes, in this stage of the healing process this looks very normal. At 6 weeks and up to 3 months (and sometimes even six) swelling and asymmetry in the breast is normal. Slight asymmetry may also be present due to pre-operation asymmetry in the breast. This is typically still slightly visible afterwards. It is much too early to determine your final results but I honestly believe you are healing well and will be happy with your final results in a few months.

Traci Temmen, MD

Breasts are different after augmentation

Thank you for your question.  There does appear to be some asymmetry in the photos, however, at 6 weeks it is still early in the recovery process.  The implants will continue to settle into their final position and swelling will continue to improve.  I would recommend obtaining an appointment with your plastic surgeon to review your concerns.  Best of luck to you!

Chad Robbins, MD

Recovery after Breast Augmentation

Thanks for your question and pictures.  At six weeks you are still going to see changes happen in your breasts while inflammation decreases and the implants settle into their final spot. If you are worried, make an appointment with your surgeon to discuss. Wishing you all the best,Steven Camp MD#HappyCamperMD 

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon