I'm 6 weeks post-op labiaplasty & I'm wondering if I'm supposed to look like this? Not liking how I'm looking (Photo)

Is this normal 6 weeks post op? Is so when can I expect to see the final results? Also, is it normal to feel a thickness where the stitches were? Will this go away? When is the soonest I can do revisions? Will the heeling time be the same ?

Post-Op Healing for Labiaplasty. Revision?

Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks.  It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months. Firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months, so there is no reason to worry too much just yet. Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery.  The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks.  This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of brusing and they way in which your body heals. Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful as well. Patients return to most normal activities immediately after surgery with the exception of activities that will create direct pressure on the #vaginalregion such as certain exercise equipment and #sexualactivity.  It will be necessary to refrain from these forms of physical activity, including sex, for approximately 4-6 weeks. Now, if you find yourself at all in pain or discomfort you should be able to have a live appointment with your surgeon to evaluate the progression of the healing process. It would need to be about 6 months for full closure of the sutures before a revision can be taken on, so time needs to continue. I wish you the best!

Post labiaplasty and concerned?

You do look 'normal' for being 6 weeks out and you should focus on healing and be talking to your surgeon about any concerns you may have.  Looks like a trim method was used but you don't have bad dog ears.  You so have less posterior minora on your left side.  You need to completely heal and then critique your results and see what options you have for improving your results.

Curtis Wong, MD

Am I supposed to look like this?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  At six weeks you are approaching your long-term results as most of your swelling should have resolved.  It is normal to still feel thickness along your suture line and I would discuss scar massage techniques with your surgeon to aid in the tissues softening.  You appear to still have excess tissue along your clitoral hood and labia minora which may be revised, but allow at least 3-6 months to pass before attempting and further treatment.  Hope this helps.

Labiaplasty revision

As the inventor and innovator of the wedge technique in 1994, I reconstruct many women who have had labia reductions by other surgeons, both wedge and trimming techniques. Your appearance will improve over the next couple months, but you will probably need a revision.  The reconstruction technique depends on the deformity. However, no attempt to revise your labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure as your appearance will improve, and the swelling will be less. You need to control your anxiety and wait. The reconstruction is more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone. You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions. Gary J. Alter, M.D.  Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NYC

Gary J. Alter, MD

Why is it all "bunched up' at the top after labiaplasty? Sutures too tight? Should I have had a Wedge?

While things may change a BIT over the next 2-3 months (perhaps slightly less swelling), what you have now is basically what you'll get. Looks like your surgeon was a bit aggressive in one area (left lower) and less aggressive in others, plus closing with sutures that cause "grooves." Many surgeons use continuous 4-0 Vicryl suture lines (wrong!). When I perform a linear resection (what you had) I use a 5-0 vicryl Rapide sub-cuticular surture line, butressed by several "not tight" individual skin sutures. Additionally, I place a 5-0 Monocryl imbricating sub-cutaneous suture line to provide a strong "scaffolding" under the skin, eliminate all "dead space" and well-approximate the skin edged to take all pressure off the quite fine skin sutures. This, plus the "art" of knowing just the right amount of skin to remove, and from where, produces uniformly aesthetic results.
Looking closely at your results, I can't help but wonder if you should have had a V-Y Wedge, which is the best procedure to take up the many folds that come laterally from a prominent clitoral hood. This is why it is SO IMPORTANT to have your work performed by a surgeon who is savvy in BOTH linear/trim AND V-Wedge modifications, as there are times when only a V-Y Wedge will produce aesthetic results (e.g. when there is a very generous lateral hood which "anchors" like a river delta into the outer labia.) This may have been your situation.
Be that as it may, if you are dissatisfied, you very well may be a candidate for a revision, but wait at least 2-3 months before you decide, and look carefully for an well-experienced surgeon who can "walk the walk!". The weblink below, plus much other info on the site may be of assistance.
Michael P Goodman, MDDavis, CA, USA

Labiaplasty revision

It takes 6-8 weeks for the the sutures under the skin to dissolve. The skin will continue to flatten out and soften for the next few months following surgery. You should be able to see the final results by 8-12 weeks. If the length of the remaining labia is bothersome, you could have additional labia removed and the two sides evened out. You can see before and after pictures at the link below. After pictures are typically taken around 6-8 weeks after surgery. 

6 weeks post op

Dear Savana:
Thank you for sharing.  Usually at 6 weeks you have a pretty good idea as to what your final outcome will be.  Yes it is very normal to feel thickness where the sutures are and this will be present in most patients for a period of 6-8 months after which time things will begin to soften this is very typical of any incision site.  I have been performing labiaplasty revisions for more than 20 years and they can be performed in as little as 12 weeks after the initial surgery.  The healing time will be the same with a revision surgery.  
You need to be extremely cautious when choosing a revision surgeon.  Please make sure you choose someone with experience, expertise, reputation and results.  See there before and after photos and make sure you can verbalize exactly what you are hoping to accomplish.  A good surgeon should be able to tell you if he / she thinks they can meet your expectations.
John R Miklos MD
Urogynecologist & Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon
Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai