Understanding that CoolSculpting is not for weight loss is there any reason a very overweight person cannot try it?

My stomach fat came from medications and illness, not bad eating habits. I know you do not do this to lose weight, but I would like to try to reduce that top layer of fat in the belly area. My body is highly resistant to weight loss and that area is the most upsetting to me. Is there any medical reason this should not or cannot be done? Thank you.

Coolsculpting on Overweight Patients

Coolsculpting is best meant for patients who are fairly close to their goal weight, but have stubborn fat that does not tend to go away easily with diet and exercise. The results for larger patients will not be nearly as apparent or satisfactory, so that’s why we don’t recommend it. It’ll be a lot of money spent on a very minimal result. You can consult with your local cosmetic dermatologist to find out what options may be better for you.

CoolSculpting an Overweight Person

There is no reason you cannot try CoolSculpting if you are overweight, but you might not see the results you are looking for and it may cost a lot more than other weightloss treatments or surgeries.  It is recommended to be close to your ideal weight for CoolSculpting to see the best results.  Each treatment kills about 25% of the fat cells in the area, so larger areas may need multiple treatments.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn all of your options.  

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Waste of money if obese

Coolsculpting will not harm you if you are obese... it just won't give you the results it should and you will feel like the whole thing was a waste.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Thank you for your question. We recommend that patients be close to their ideal weight in order to have the best results. Youu can try CoolSculpting, however, the results may not be what you desire. I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation. This way, you can explain your concerns, learn more about CoolSculpting, and determine if you are a candidate. All the best, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Coolsculpting for Very Overweight Patients?

Hi,The reason that Coolsculpting would not be best for you is that you would need so many applicators to even thin out the fat that it would financially be in your best interests to see a bariatric or plastic surgeon to get the best results.
Warmly,Dr. Liu

Grace Liu, MD
Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

CoolSculpting may work

there are only a few contra indications for the CoolSculpting procedure. But you may need multiples sessions of multiple areas and cost can exceed surgical alternatives. If your body mass index is above 30 I would advise against the procedure as in all likelihood it will be a waste of time and money. In our practice, we actually limit the BMI to 25. Patient selection is very important in achieving results with ththe CoolSculpting procedure. 
You may want to consult with a bariatric and/or plastic surgeon to see what all your options are. In additions consultation with an endocrinologist, fitness expert, and nutritionist may broaden your options. 
CoolSculpting is a non invasive device which absolutely does work for the right client but I would seek out consultations from various experts mentioned above to develop a treatment plan which will result in the best outcome as well as saving you from spending thousands of dollars. 
All the bestDr Soni

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

No Harm In Trying, But Keep Expectations Realistic

An overweight person can try CoolSculpting. Most likely someone who is overweight will require more treatments and may not ultimately be happy with the results CoolSculpting is able to provide. It is important to go to an office that offers multiple procedures for body contouring so you find out other options available and so that you can find out what will give you the best result, if you’re a candidate for surgery. Best of luck with your health & beauty goals!

Kahlil Andrews, MD
Cedar Rapids Plastic Surgeon

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting Versus Coolsculpting

Almost everyone is a non invasive candidate but that only gives you a small reduction and requires more than one treatment or overlapping treatments to get best outcomes (or at least noticeable ones). HI DEF Lipo does a full body contouring and fat can be used to lift buttock, build muscle or shape the body in a permanent way. I suggest seeking a board certified cosmetic dermatologist to discuss your short and long term goals. Best, Dr. Emer

thank you for the question. You are absolutely correct in saying that Coolsculpting is not a weight loss procedure. It is always best to be enrolled in a finess program and healthy eating to lose weight. Also you can seek a consult with a Bariatric surgeon to determine if you are a candidate for a weight loss procedure. Having said that if you proceed with Coolsculpting, it will help with reducing the fat. The skin may not tighten and you may excess skin which Yu will need to address. It is best to set up a consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Is there any reason an overweight person cannot try CoolSculpting?

You are correct that CoolSculpting is not a weight loss treatment and it generally works best on people who are at or near their ideal body weight with isolated areas of unwanted fat.  However, there is no medical reason that an overweight person could not be treated.  An examination would determine if you might be a candidate for the treatment or not.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon